Dude

I.My dog and I are in bed. The dog growls and snaps at my husband when he comes in.

My dog is an English Springer Spaniel and is my dog. He is 1 1/2 years old and is extremely protective of me but, he loves my husband too.
Any suggestions?

Asked by Dude on Feb 13th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

He is "guarding" you, like dogs guard food or toys. Make him get off the bed when he does that and tell him NO. He will learn when he growls, he doesn't get what he wants.

Jet

Like Victoria Stilwell, celebrity dog trainer, says, say "Aah, Aah" very loudly and firmly and put your dog down when he does that. Your dog's praise is getting put back up on the bed, so he doesn't like being alone on the floor.

Jet answered on 2/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

"Like Victoria Stilwell, celebrity dog trainer, says, say "Aah, Aah" very loudly and firmly and put your dog down when he does that."

being a sick and groggy, I thought, "Man, that's a little harsh, isn't it? Euthanization over a growl?" I went on to understand properly though.

Maverick

I would recommend finding a trainer in your area and getting a session or two to help before it turns into a more serious matter.

Good luck! :D

Maverick answered on 2/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Is this on the bed or couch??
then the dog looses his privilges right then and there. You stand up and tell him no.
If he refuses to get off you make him get off.
Even going to a crate to get a time out is acceptable.
Clean and clear rules will do the job. He is young so now is the time.
If you have rules then the dog must learn somehow. Making it clear then that is good to do.
He is 1 1/2 so he might get a time out of 1/2 hour to 1 hr. this means a room where no t.v or anything is going on.

Beau

My dog is an 8 year old lab and when he is asleep on the bed and I come to bed and move him he growls at me. He has slept on the bed with me from day one. I tell him NO GROWL!! I have been telling him this from day one. I want him on the bed with me, and he has never bitten me, and if he does, I'd rather him bite me than anyone else. I love my dog, and I love him sleeping with me. He is just upset because he is being moved while sleeping. I know I'm going to get negative responses from my comment, but I don't mind, everyone's opinion is their own.

Beau answered on 2/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer