Im thinking of getting a parson russell terrier, can anyone tell me anything i might need to know?

So, yeah... Just if you have one or know someone who has one, just tell me, what are they like??

Asked by Member 793716 on Jan 17th 2009 Tagged behavior, breeds, parsonrussell in Parson Russell Terrier

Answers

MACH ADCH Lilliana TQX

Follow this link to learn about Parson Russell Terriers www.dogster.com on Dogster. What's nice about Dogster is that there is both general information and tallied feedback from users inputs on the doggie dynamics. So you can see what owners think too.

American Kennel Club also has information, or try the kennel club in your region.

Kudos for researching it to learn if this is the right breed for you. Even with the research, be prepared for the unexpected. Each doggie or pup has their own unique personality stamp.

MACH ADCH Lilliana TQX answered on 1/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dahlia

The dogster breed info page covers them pretty well. Just make sure your lifestyle can handle one. They are busy little dogs, require lots of exercise, and a consistant control. (they can be a little stubborn) They are very dedicated to their family.

Dahlia answered on 1/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zack

These sites have some information that might be helpful to you:

prtaa.org
en.wikipedia.org
www.dogbreedinfo.com

Please note that these are VERY high energy dogs with VERY high intelligence. They require an owner who is dedicated to providing them with the physical exercise and mental stimulation they need. This includes a lot of outdoor exercise - this is a working terrier breed that loves to spend time outdoors. Many end up in shelters because their owners do not understand this about them, and then are unable to properly provide their dog with what it needs. They are not the best breed for beginners. They do make great pets for the right people, but please do your research and make sure this is the right breed for you.

Zack answered on 1/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Quincy - CGC

I have a JRT/Chihuahua mix and I have to walk him twice a day and sometimes thats not enough, so be prepared to do a lot of exercise. START TRAINING EARLY! Terriers can turn into little terrors if not trained properly. They also tend to think they are way bigger and tougher than they really are. They are also really intelligent. My little guy can open the kitchen cabinets and has also managed to unscrew a peanut butter jar. Lots of interactive toys that can be rotated to reduce boredom will help a lot, and always give them lots of love. Good luck.

Quincy - CGC answered on 1/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My brother has one as does a good friend. Both wish they didn't. They didn't realize how hyperactive they are. Both are chewers and resisted potty training. Debbie claims to have taken hers to obedience training 2x, but I don't know if she perservered. I think they need lots of outdoor time, exercise and chew toys. As with many dogs, I think it depends on what kind of person you are. If you are very active, then I think it's a good choice for running, playing catch with ball or frisbee. They also bark - a lot! It took me 2 years to figure out what type was best for me and I love my Silky. Oliver is calm indoors; runs like crazy outdoors; doesn't bark excessively, was easy to potty train - - all those things were very important to me as I work all day. I don't have time or patience for a high maintenance pooch. Good luck!

My parents brought home two brothers from Ireland 13 years ago. They are great dogs, fiercely loyal to their family. They make great watch dogs but are not agressive. They have ALOT of ENERGY! These are active dogs who will want to run and play with you. They like digging things out of places. Very very smart. They do shed alot which can be a drag but nothing a good vacum wont cure. All in all a great breed, wouldn't recommend them to any couch potatoes. Good Luck!