I'm thinking of getting a new small mammal, but I already have a large dog, should I reconsider this?

I have a Lab/Pitt whatever Mutt at home, She hunts mice, But was very well behaved when we had a bird, The worst she did was get to close to him when he flew to the floor, Recently, my bird died, My mother wants a rabbit, but Rabbits I feel, need to much freedom, and with Sugar already a mouse hunter, I worry she'd hunt a rabbit if I got them in the same room. Does anyone have advice? She usually knows to leave things she knows aren't mice alone, But then again, we've never had a rabbit in the house, is there perhaps a more containable small mammal you could recommend? I'd really rather a Rat anyway, My last Rat was a very personable creature.

Asked by Member 1147924 on Jan 2nd 2013 Tagged smallmammal, largedog, newpet in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Beau

A lot of it depends on Sugar's personality. I have a Doberman who grew up with a household of critters (cats, guinea pigs, you name it). I took the time to introduce him to all the new animals and told him to "be nice" when sniffing them. He chases the critters in our backyard and hunts lizards, but he knows outside animals are different than my inside animals, and he has to leave them alone. He's pretty indifferent to new animals after he gets the chance to sniff them.

My beagle mix loved to hunt, but she, too, learned you play nice with the inside pets. I never had issues with her trying to hurt any of my pets, but again, I also took the time to let her meet them and told her to "be nice".

I bet if you do the same with Sugar and lay it out to her the rabbit/whatever pet you decide upon is not hers to play with and supervise her around it, she'll adapt to it being in the house and not create a fuss over it.

Beau answered on 1/2/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Seth

I have also had dogs that were taught right away that our pets were not to be hurt. He would not go after the cats or smaller dogs , but woudl chase off other animals that did not belong to us. If you train them right away that this is not something to hurt or hurt. You should be fine.

Seth answered on 1/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer