Daisy

I'm mating my Shih-Tzu, she's gonna be 2years old in Sept. What would I be looking for in the male? and what does he get

Asked by Daisy on Jun 16th 2008 in Answers

Best Answer

~Emma~ RL1

You're dog is super cute, and I'm sure a doll and all that is good.

That being said there are 1258 Shih-tzu on Petfinder.com alone.

Before breeding your baby you maybe should volunteer at your local animal shelter.

~Emma~ RL1 answered on Jun 16th.

Answers

get the same breed! maybe someone will come along that knows more then me! lol
Good Luck!

TK, CGC

What kind of health testing results does your dog have? What kind of titles does your dog have? If your dog hasn't been tested or titled you will not find a quality male to breed with and you will be just another backyard breeder.

No one with a sole interest in improving the standard of Shih Tzus will jump at the opportunity to mate their dog with yours; you will only find owners who think their dog is "so cute" or wants one of their dog's puppies... or just wants to make some money. Sorry if it's harsh, but that's the reality of it.

TK, CGC answered on 6/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

Look for only the best. The dog that fits the Shih Tzu's breed standard well. And he should also have been health tested and passed all of his tests (not just a vet visit, OFA, CERF, tested for common genetic diseases in the breed), and have the appropiate temperament for his breed. After all, that is what breeding is (or should be) all about, keeping the breed healthy and according to the standard. Most people don't know this, and breed their dog on a whim, usually to make money. They have no idea that by not doing it responsibly that they are ruining the breed as a whole. Nor do they have any idea that when breeding is done right, usually no money at all is made.
Also, it would be best if you took a couple of years to study on this and learn as much about it as you can. Breeding the right way is no easy task, and not everyone is cut out to do it.
Oh, and remember, what you look for in the male, you female should be just as good as the male.
I have a website about breeding, for you to start your studies in:
cookiemiller.tripod.com

You are not "mating" you girl you are 'breeding: her.

Look for a responsibly bred stud starting with finding a mentor at your breed parent club:

www.shihtzu.org

& then look for shelling out a out of money in case their are complications with the pregnancy or whelping.
read this:

www.woodhavenlabs.com

Emma hit the nail on the head. Unless you are planning to keep all the dogs yourself and commit to having them for their entire natural lives, there's no way to be sure they won't end up in shelters or worse.

Daisy is your dog, and you have the final say in whether or not to breed her. I just would urge you to look at your motivation for breeding her. It is money? Is it because you like her so much and want there to be more of her out there in the world?

Whatever it is, keep in mind that breeding dogs is complicated. I have a friend who has a Shih-Tzu who lost all her puppies and almost died. Several puppies lasted long enough to get attached to and it was a heartbreaking experience for all of them.

Please consider everything realistically before you proceed and do your research so you know what to look for and how to keep her healthy and the puppies healthy.