I'm looking for homeopathic remedies for Cruciate tears, info on prolotherapy and a rehab plan.

Asked by Member 1085323 on Jan 17th 2012 in Alternative Treatments

Answers

The best non-surgical therapy for CCL tears is conservative management. Have you see this website yet?
www.tiggerpoz.com

LOADS of good info on non-surgical treatment for ligament injuries and dogs, and since they're not selling any products I think they're pretty reputable. Be very wary of alternative therapies that promise a panacea, or seem too good to be true, because they usually are. Like someone said, "If it really worked, it wouldn't be 'alternative' anymore..." Not saying not to try them, (they're usually harmless) but watch out for placebo effect and snake-oil salesmen.

Prolotherapy is an as-yet unproven therapy of injecting a sugar solution into painful joints to create inflammation and scarring that hopefully will stabilize the joint. Here is an article with info about prolo and rehab for CCL tears:
www.veterinarypracticenews.com

Good luck, try Dr. Google to find more info!

The other post has some great info for you! I'm not sure how bad the tear is, but I have used PETfection Joint Massage Oil before on my weim when he pulled a muscle or tendon in his leg and it worked really well. It is designed to reduce inflammation in the joint/muscle/tendon/ligament and help speed up healing. If you can massage, it is worth a shot! This product is 100% Organic too. I hope this helps; good luck!

After using your alternative treatment what may help is Canine Hydrotherapy. This one is in Essex but has lots of information on their website, hope this is useful to you as part of a rehab plan!
www.canine

We had very good--but not instantaneous--results from prolo therapy for our dog's cruciate tear. We opted against surgery because of her age and its mixed results. We first tried subQ shots of Adequan several times weekly and glucosamine and chondroitin in high doses. Also used homeopathics per my homeopath: Silicea 30x in the a.m. and Rhus Tox 30x at night.

I attribute most of the healing to the prolo and careful monitoring of activity. Our dog is a border collie mix; so easing up on exercise still meant 2 good walks/day.

Although our dog still favors her bad leg, the joint is, according to our vet, much more stable, and we feel comfortable letting her off leash again, although we're always watching to make sure she doesn't overdo it. Our dog hops occasionally, and we recently added meloxicam (at a low dose every other day) to the plan to ease stiffness from the arthritis in her injured joint. We give milk thistle to support her liver and keep it strong and healthy. So far, so good