I'm considering getting some sort of flea and tick medication for my Husky. What should I use?

I've heard of Frontline Plus from the Dog Whisperer and on the television but what do you suggest?

Asked by Member 978347 on Mar 29th 2010 Tagged frontlineplus, flea, tick, husky in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

There are a number of safe and effective remedies. Each works best in different cases. I have had good luck with both Revolution and Sentiinel. I had to switch because revolution is great on fleas, but doesn't do whip worms.

I would suggest talking to your vet. it may be that neither Revolution or Sentinel is right for you. What works for somebody here, may or may not be right for you. the good stuff mostly comes from the vet anyhow.

I highly recommend you do not use Frontline Plus or any kind of medication for fleas and ticks.

I use peppermint oil, sage, balsam fir, and geranium oil. Peppermint oil works the best, I haven't seen one flea or tick on my dogs' this year. Cedarwood oil works great, also. Geranium oil, I mix with cedarwood oil.

Since you have a Husky, put 8-10 drops of peppermint oil, or any oil of your choice that I listed. Rub the oil in good, all over the body.

You only have to do this every other day.

Kitana

I have used Frontline and Advantix on my guys and they all do well on it. I usually go for the ones that kill the eggs and mosquitoes since I get a lot of mosquitoes in my area. Ask your vet to see what they suggest for your area,

Kitana answered on 3/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I use Frontline Plus, but I only use it twice a season. I put the first application on in early June and then usually have to reapply it in late August. So far, I have only ever seen one or two fleas, and those were just before the late August application.

Bart

My vet swears by Advantage. I saw improvement in the first day. It has been a month since I applied the last dose and it is still working.

Bart answered on 3/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN)

We've had great success with Vectra-3D, also only available through your vet.

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN) answered on 3/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I can say that the Frontline Plus is not working for ticks in this area. I had a fit with that stuff last year, I think the ticks are becoming intolerant of it
For fleas it seems to work ok.
For ticks you apply every 30 days and it doesn't work.

Here are a couple suggestions: a monthly treatment I like is Biospot. It is more ecofriendly than other flea/tick medicines. Another option is PETfection Bug Spray... it is 100% Organic and Non Toxic. You can spray him daily with it or as needed. You can use it in conjunction with a monthly treatment too. It is nice because it keeps bugs away, but will also heal any bites he may already have. You can check it out at www.mypetfection.com.