I'm beginning to make food for my 1 dog & 2 cats. i'm looking for a "starter-mix recipe.

I need to start as simply as possible. Does anyone know of a basic recipe-mix (meat, veggies, starch) that could be prepared for both cat & dog, and then corrected for the other? Probably a mix for cats, then add more starch/ veggies for the dog, different supplements for both.... i've got ground turkey, turkey necks, frozen mixed vegs and brown rice. Any ideas appreciated.

Asked by Member 1079551 on Dec 24th 2011 Tagged homemadepetfood in Homemade Food

Best Answer

Check out dogaware.com for homecooking tips- it's one of my favorite such sites, lots of good nutrition info. Good lists of books to read and other things. It's only dog-related, but many of the books and articles linked to there are cat-related too. The homecooking forum here on dogster is pretty dead- the raw food forum is quite active though, and that might be something for you to consider: prey-model raw diet is appropriate for both species and minimal supplementation is needed (some people don't supplement at all with this type of diet.)

Bruno CGC answered on Dec 25th.

Answers

I can't help you much because I feed raw rather than homecooked. You'll find a lot more help by asking the same question in the homecooked forum: www.dogster.com
What I can tell you is, NEVER feed COOKED BONES. Cooking drains them of their moisture and makes them brittle, likely to splinter.