I'm afraid my little puppy is too young.

I bought a puppy yesterday at 5 1/2 weeks old (She will be 6 weeks on Sunday) and I didn't know at the time how old she needed to be before she was separated from her mother. The lady I bought her from said that her vet told her since the puppy was eating solid food it would be okay to sell her. Is she too young? I don't want to harm my puppy if she has been separated too early. What should I do? Take her back to her mom for a week? Or give her puppy formula? Any help would be appreciated!

Asked by Member 739639 on Sep 19th 2008 Tagged puppy, young, mother, weeksold, separated in Health & Safety

Answers

Bailey

I would take her back. She needs to be with her mom until least 8 weeks old. Obliviously the lady doesn't know whats she's doing. She needs to get her dog fixed and not be adding to the over population problem

Bailey answered on 9/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

Scooter

We mad ethe same mistake. We bought a dog at only 4 1/2 weeks. I think its fine to keep the dog. Just if you get another be careful. Our dog is fine leaving mom early. Hope this helps!

Scooter answered on 9/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Puppies need their mother until they are 8 weeks old, at the very least.
Just because the dog is weaned doesn't make it okay to sell it. The dog actually learns important things like bite inhibition from it's mother and littermates after they are weaned.
That lady shouldn't be breeding if she doesn't know what she is doing.
Try to make the lady keep her with her mother until she is 8 weeks old and try to tell her why.

You have learned your lesson and will not make the same mistake again.

If you cannot take the puppy back to temporarily spend some more time with it's mum, it will still be okay. Don't worry!

My boyfriend's dog was a rescue that he adopted at two weeks old because it's mother had been killed. The puppy needed to be bottle fed, but has grown up to be a friendly and well-adjusted pet.

If your puppy is weaned, you should be alright caring for it like any other puppy, although you may have to work extra hard on training due to anxiety issues that may show up when your pup is a bit older.

Best of luck!

bandit

I don't mean to be rude, but Scooter said her dog was fine, yet she has a questioned posted that her dog has problems with affection. She ducks her head when someone tries to pet her, and growls when someone tries to pick her up. This could very well be because she was taken from her mother too young.

bandit answered on 9/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oh...well if you have a choice i would take it back to its mother and littermates for a few more weeks, but it sounds like there may not be any littermates to play with....i would make sure to take care to socialize your puppy well, when she's a little older and make note that you may have to teach your puppy about nipping and biting. good luck

Okay, don't panic. It's not ideal to get a puppy that young, but what's done is done. Personally I don't think that returning her to someone irresponsible enough to sell her so young in the first place is necessarily in her best interest.
The first thing to do is take her to your vet for a thorough exam, first shots and worming. Research her particular breed and any potential health problems specific to it; you'll need to watch for them, since the breeder probably hasn't screened her dogs before breeding.
Once she's cleared health- wise, begin to socialize her. As soon as she's old enough enroll her in puppy kindergarten, where she can play with other puppies. Above all, resist the urge to baby her too much because she's so young; tolerating unacceptable behavior now will give you big problems later.
For the record I brought my last boxer home at that age and he was a wonderful dog. So even though it's not ideal, it can work out. You should be fine.