if you leave the dog in the cage for too long what would happen to him

Asked by Member 502386 on Sep 24th 2007 in Separation Anxiety

Best Answer

Jelly

This is a hard question to answer because you didn't say how old the dog is or how long you intent to keep the dog in the cage. Many adult dogs stay in their cages for 8 to 9 hours while their humans are at work and are fine. It may not be an ideal situation but the reality is that people have to go to work and school. If you spend lots of time with them and exercise and play with them then it should work. I wouldn't leave an adult dog in a cage for more then 8 or 9 hours. It is when the dog is ignored, not exercised, left for an extreme about of time and not socialized that problems develop. They can bark, potty in their cage, be self destructive, be totally wound up when they are out and if not socialized can not know how to relate with their environment. If the crate is dealt with properly then the dog will view it as their den and safe place to go and not as a jail. Jelly goes into her cage on her own and stays there even when the door is open.

Jelly answered on Sep 25th.

Answers

First of all, what is too long? More than 8 hours?

I feel several things can happen.

#1-Antisocial behavior
#2-Bordem
#3-They could develop behavior issues
#4-They will be unhappy.

Even a few hours can be too long to leave a dog in a cage.

If you leave a bored or unhappy dog in a cage for too long, then he can become very unhappy, but even worse, self destructive. In extreme cases, some dogs have chewed on their paws or legs until they make severe injuries.

Most of the time, though, a do will simply display emotional problems or have trouble adjusting and develop separation anxiety.

Personally, I would never leave a dog in a cage. If I needed to leave a non-housebroken dog alone in the home, I'd block off the kitchen or one room in which I could leave the dog.

Meiling

HELLO I HAVE A DOG THAT SLEEPS IN A CRATE AT NIGHT. SHE LOVES IT. THE VET SAID THEY CAN STAY IN THEIR CRATE ACCORDING TO THEIR AGE. MINE IS 7 MOS OLD. SO SHE CAN STAY IN HER CRATE FOR 7 HOURS MY VET SAID. BUT OF COURSE SHE IS NOT IN IT THAT LONG. I GUESS ALL DOGS ARE DIFFERENT. MY SON BOUGHT A CRATE FOR HIS DOG. HE WILL NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. SO I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON THE DOG. MY DOG JUST USES IT FOR SLEEPING AT NIGHT.

Meiling answered on 9/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buddy Boy

If you are leaving your dog in a kennel while you go to work, make sure he is getting a long walk before so he isn't excited and hyper going in when he has to be in there all day. Thats not fair to him.
If its for a very long time all the time, you may want to look into doggy day care or a new home. Its not fair for him to have to be stuck in a kennel his whole life.

Buddy Boy answered on 9/25/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer