If there is no police report , medical visit, or picture of a wound, is there still grounds to quarantine a dog?

An individual claimed that my dog bit him,, although we were standing 4 feet away and my dog was leashed. Animal control was called, although there was no picture of the alleged wound, or a police report made. Turns out these people were illegally here and were trying to con me .
Without the proof of a police report, picture or wound, does the dog still have to be quarantined? If I had an attorney the night that it happened could something have been done to avoid quarantining my dog?

Asked by Member 919870 on Nov 20th 2009 Tagged evidence, proof, quarantine in Animal Control

Answers

Was your dog licensed in 2009 and have current Vet records?
If not the dog needs to be quarenteened and you need to get your paperwork in order.
If you have all paperwork, go see the police to see if you can get the dog back. Having been through this as the parent of a victim, I know they don't take a dog without a reason.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

If a person makes a police report he has to have a wound or injury.
They just don't go by a person's word.

If your dog was taken they could of had the proof.

Over 20 yrs ago when I was a kid, my dog grabbed a kid's pants and when the animal control came out she just asked questions. I said you should look at his leg, there is no bite marks. I never heard from them.

So something is missing here.
You should go to the police department and ask for a copy of all the paperwork.
It is public record. Ask your AC what proof there is.

Yes, if your dog has no rabies shot they can hold your dog under presumption that the dog could possibly have rabies.
If your dog is current on the rabies get your certificate and take the document to the shelter and pay for the dog to be released. That is the only info I can think of.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 11/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Boo

Animal Control officers are already an arm of the law. They are a deputized authority and their "call" to the scene and subsequent "report " often serve as the police report. I'm kind of surpsrised that they would remove the dog if there was no evidence of bites or injury. Then again, they still might quaranteen the pup because of the perceived aggression.

Personally, I would call Animal Control HQ and ask them specifically what the city/county ordinances and guildlines are regarding procedures for quaranteeing animals. Also ask them for the state statute it is based on (if any).

I would ask for a copy of their report /complaint on the incident and make sure you can file your version of the events. Document any pertinent information and evidence (include witnesses) to your claim that the alleged "victims" were there illegally for whatever reason. Then call your home owner's insurance company to check your coverage and what they require (in case there is a lawsuit).

Boo answered on 11/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer