Guest

If my dog or cat were to chew on or bite a mouse that has been poisoned will they get sick or be harmed by it?

I have a little bit of a mouse problem, and my cat is killing a few of them, but I am afraid to put out any poison even where my cat can't reach it because I am afraid if she gets ahold of a poisoned mouse she will become ill, or die? Can that happen?


Asked by Member 795948 on Jan 23rd 2009 Tagged mousepoison in Other Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Guest

I would say you are right to be concerned about this. I applaud your mindfulness in considering ways to your efforts to deal with the mouse problem.

I found this site where someone asked the same question!

bensqanda.blogspot.com

My next thought would be traps, but what if your pets get into those too?

Perhaps you could contact a local pest control company in your area to find out about pet friendly pest control options. I am sure they come up with this all the time.

Good luck!


Member 740971 answered on 1/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer


Rosie

How about glue traps? They're basically very sticky paper. I don't know that your cat would die if she got a hold of a poisoned mouse, but in my opinion it's not worth the risk!


Rosie answered on 1/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


Bam-Bam, CGC

YES YES YES! If your dog or cat eats a poisoned mouse he or she WILL get sick! I have a friend whose dog got sick this way, and rat poison is VERY deadly to dogs and cats.


Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 1/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer


Peaches ♥

The glue traps that I've used are little black trays filled with clear glue. They work better than anything else I've ever tried. And are the safest to have around pets, in my opinion.

You can put them out of the way in most cases and if your pet does happen to get stuck to one, you just use a little vegetable oil or mineral oil to get them loose and remove all the glue. After that, use just a tiny bit of Dawn dish liquid and some water to clean the oil from their fur.

At our last apartment, we had a horrible mouse problem. Our next door neighbor's apartment reeked but we didn't know why. We had tons of nasty critters in just a couple of weeks - we'd never had that problem before. Turns out he'd gone for MONTHS without taking out his trash. They found over 14 full bags of it in his little 600 sq ft apt and lots more strewn about. Took forever to catch all the mice and kill everything else. So nasty! But those glue traps did the trick!

Good luck!


Peaches ♥ answered on 1/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer


Guest

Any animal that eats an animal that has ingested poison is at risk, too, of being poisoned. I would not put out poison if you can't keep the cat separate from the mice who eat the poison!


Member 796517 answered on 1/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


Guest

I think the best option is to use a professional exterminator. We had a mouse problem, and usually if there is one, there are dozens! We called an exterminator, explained we had both children AND a dog AND I was pregnant. Any chemicals were place in the attic and places no one could get to, and when the mice died, they died in the attic or air ducts (gross, we could smell them in the duct work.) Mice aren't made of much, so they quickly dehydrated. Glue traps were placed, but in areas where the dogs and children were not likely to contact them. Anything caught that way could be picked up with a gloved hand, put in a plastic bag, and put in the trash. Also, the exterminator we used assured us they use the least amount of chemicals possible, with the best safety record, so I felt better than if we had just gone out and tried to do the job ourselves.


Member 168692 answered on 5/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Guest

Hi, My Dogs and cats have killed many rats and mice.And it will not hurt your dog or cat as long as it has had all its shorts and is up to date!! It's also very important that it has its rabbis shot!! But, your dog or Cat will be fine if it has had all its shots!!


Member 992652 answered on 6/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Guest

Yes - your dog or cat can get poisoned from eating a poisoned mouse or rat. So can wildlife.
As a groomer, glue traps are pretty terrible because cats and dogs can get caught in them and it makes a terrible mess (we just had a maltese in and I had to cut all of his hair off because the glue simply would NOT come out - luckily, it grows back). Also, the glue can sometimes irritate the skin.
We had a rat problem not too long ago and we invested in an electric trap. We put it in the rafters and it worked. It is covered so that only mice or rats can fit in.
I also have friends who have had great success with live traps and then they just released their catch in a nearby field.


Member 490525 answered on 8/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


R.I.P. sweet Hairless Harry Bl

Use the snap traps and put them in a cabintet and close the door and put something up on it to keep the door closed.Put them in a bathroom and keep they door closed.
We have used the sticky traps before one of our cats got in it and it was horrible we had to cut fur and was him and everything it took a lot of work to get it of.If they get a paw or something stuck to it it might rip the skin off.


R.I.P. sweet Hairless Harry Bl answered on 10/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


Guest

DO NOT use poison or glue traps! They are dangerous and cruel. There are humane traps, called HAV-A-HEART, which trap animals without hurting them, and you can then take them someplace else and release them. They come in different sizes and can be rented if you don't want to spend the money to buy them.


Member 1006556 answered on 11/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


Kipper

I don't use snap traps because they don't always kill cleanly. I once caught one by the tail. Same thing with glue traps. Both are cruel IMO. Catch and release doesn't work with mice. I caught one once that had a white foot. I took it to the back of my property (44 acres away) and released it. It was back in the house the next day.

The only effective trap I've found is a kill trap that is enclosed and uses a battery to electrocute them. I know it sounds bad but it's not. It's immediate as soon as they step on the metal plate and is more humane than anything else I've tried. You don't have to see them; just open the little door and dump them.

My Jack Russell isn't even that humane. :-) He tortures them like a cat before he kills them.


Kipper answered on 1/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


More Questions in This Category