Miles

if I want to put up a pup for adoption that I had paid all vet bills of surgery how much would adoptive parents pay

I had a litter of 11 american bulldog pups and 1 pup needed intestanal surgery I'd like to find an adoptive family for my pup I have paid out so much money in vet bills how much can I adopt him out for I still owe the vet for surgery he is up to date on his shots he is not nueterded and I can not afford to pay for nueteing how much money can I adopt him out for he's 5 months and he's nkc American bulldog

Asked by Miles on Dec 7th 2011 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Breeders lose money. Plain & simple. The unexpected should always be expected & planned for. That is why breeders should really want to improve the breed, or at the least, maintain the standard. The buyer does not care about how much YOU put in. They will expect a puppy priced comparably to others. I know that sounds harsh, but it's reality. "Here is a healthy pup that costs X$. Here is a pup that had a rough start & was sickly. He costs 2X$" Which one would the average person take?
I hope pup is better & will live a happy, healthy life :)

Wiley is right... if you breed, YOU are responsible for the costs of the puppy in sickness OR in health.
A reasonable donation for adoption usually only covers the vaccinations and possibly the neutering if it has been done already. If not, you will be lucky to get ANYTHING for this pup. The "profits" from selling the other ten pups should easily cover the costs of surgery for this one pup.
It is definitely NOT FAIR to ask more for this pup because he needed surgery. Most breeders I know would have paid the price for the surgery and GIVEN the pup to a suitable home free of charge, thankful that he had a chance at a good home.
I recently adopted out a poodle I rescued. In the last two months I spent over $800 getting her healthy and spayed. She had a number of health issues, including dental issues. The new owners paid a donation fee of $200, the same as any other people pay me for any rescue poodle, which covers the "normal" cost of neutering.