If a dog gets a hernia from spay, will fluid come out?

My 6 month old Boxer was spayed 2 weeks ago. 3-4 days afterward I noticed a lump at her incision site so I took her to the vet. He said it might just be fluid from the surgery and should go away within several days. When the lump didn't go away we took her back to the vet yesterday and now he thinks it may be a hernia. This morning she woke up with fluid coming out of an area approximately the size of a nickel on her incision and there is also a pimple like bump near it with fluid coming out also. Is this typical for a hernia case? My vet is closed today so I can't call and talk to them. She is scheduled to have surgery tomorrow to see if it is a hernia.

Asked by Member 745623 on Oct 2nd 2008 Tagged hernia, spay, fluid in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Nehbey

Sometimes seromas can form at incision sites. These are basically pockets of fluid that usually go away on their own. If they don't, simply sticking a needle in it and withdrawing the fluid will help. If your vet suspects a hernia, it is not recommended to stick a needle in it. I would recommend a second opinion just to be certain and not put your dog through an unneccesary surgery.

Nehbey answered on 10/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer