I was forced to surrender my dog to get her emergency care from a local rescue organization. HELP!!

I had received help with vet care from this organization before, but they made me sign the surrender form under duress because my mini-doxie had a high risk pregnancy and she appeared to be in distress. I added the verbage on the bottom of the form that I wanted to re-adopt her and pay the difference of the cost of her care after her pup was delivered and adopted out. She is eight years old, has an enzyme deficiency and is hyper sensitive to noise. She is very destructive when she hears thunderstorms, fireworks etc. The rescue organization is avoiding the issue, and I have offered to surrender four additional Doxies in my home. I had eight, but due to my economic situation, I am unable to care for them now. I lost my mortgage company and went through a costly divorce. I am unable to have children and my animals are my reason to keep going. I feed them before I buy food for myself. Please help. I can't eat, sleep or concentrate at work. She is the little girl I never had.HELP

Asked by Member 997763 on Jul 21st 2010 Tagged lawsgoverningrescueorganizations, surrender, readoption in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

Vance CGC

There are likely many reasons the organization is refusing to give your dog back, and the bottom line is you are not going to get her back. You signed a surrender form. Penciling something in on the bottom of a legal contract does not make it legal.

I understand you love your animals, but based on the rest of the post, at this time, it does not sound like you are able to care for them adequately at all. Perhaps this truly is best for her.

Vance CGC answered on 7/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

This is an unfortunate situation and I'm sorry your going through this but sometimes things are the way they are because they need to be.
I also thing there is MORE to this story, there's always 2 sides. It seems from your post your going through a stressful time, emotionally and finacially and maybe you need to concentrate on what is best for ALL. Yes, you love your dogs but as the saying goes, "sometimes love just isn't enough." Maybe the rescue knows your over your head. If you really think about it, set your feelings aside, you just may understand why they are doing what they're doing.
All my best.

I am agreeing with the other posters here.... there are often times when caring for a pet becomes financially impossible and it is then the correct thing to surrender those animals so that they can get the care they deserve. It works the same way with children.
It would also seem that you could have done more to prevent this high risk pregnancy since it is obvious it would increase the expenses as well as not be a safe option for an older, already ill dog. I think before I made any further judgments I would need to hear the story from the rescue organization... you say you have used them before for emergency help... perhaps they gave you options at that time which were not used???
Responsiblity for caring for a pet is just that... it is a responsibility. When you are faced with severe financial hardship, no matter the reason, it becomes your responsibility and your only choice for the welfare of the animals is to surrender them so they can get care they need.

I'm also in agreement with the others.

I do hope that you end up getting your girl back IF she's really better off with you. But I have to question whether you acted in her best interest by allowing a long-spined, small dog such a a miniature doxie to become pregnant, at 8 years old no less and with an enzyme deficiency.

Clearly, her pregnancy is not in her best interest and if you have received vet care from this place before under duress, it's reasonable for them to now be questioning your ability (but probably not your LOVE) to take care of her and the other dogs in your home.

Regardless of income at any given time, eight dog is a LOT of dogs in one home.

Ultimately, you have to do what is best for her and while your misfortunes aren't your fault, you did make decisions (not getting the dogs fixed while you did have the money) that are now effecting her safety.

I know you love her and are very upset. But try to see what's best for HER.

Good luck, I hope it all works out.

I agree that getting your dog fixed would of been a good idea, but saying you could lose your kids because you can't pay medical bills it ridiculous. For kids there is medicaid, foodstamps and other help out there.

I also find it offensive that they would take your dog from you, but I need to give my dog away because the apartments I needed to move to won't allow 2 big dogs and they won't take him.

If they were so worried about your dog the first time, why didn't they insist you have your dogs fixed the first time you used them.

I find most pet rescue people don't care about people at all. They only care about animals. Some even only care about a specific type of animal or even a specific breed.

I fear what the country is turning into.