I want to start showing my rat terrier in conformation and agility. How can I get information on dog shows near me?

I am new to the dog showing world so I don't know where to start as far as enlisting in a show.

Asked by Member 1121715 on Jul 20th 2012 Tagged dogshows, juniorhandler, ratterrier, information in News & Events

Answers

Star BN RN RA

If you want to enter AKC or UKC shows you can go to their respective websites and look for events. For AKC shows many people use infodog.com to register for shows. If you have never been to a conformation show or agility trial I would suggest going to one before you sign up as it can be a little overwhelming at first.

Star BN RN RA answered on 7/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You will get a much more complete answer if you repost this in the Sports & Agility forum on the main forums page. When you repost tell us where you are located & I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

If you take some classes in either show handling or agility, your instructor will be able to point you towards competition. You really want to get some instruction and practice before enrolling in official events. I found my agility club by googling my city name with "agility club" and got several to choose from, and picked the one that seemed most active and accessible. Joining a club is great, because it gives you a chance to take classes and practice for less than private instruction, and also helps you meet people and find out about events in your area.

I also agree with Wiley that it would be good to make a Dogster profile and then try the Forums (under the orange Community tab), because then we can have a better conversation about what's available in your area.

Kazba

I also agree with getting the dog into classes before you start to go to a show. I went to my first show and did not know what to do. I just got there early and watched. Lucky for me, my dog did fine and we did not look to dumb. But after that , I signed up for classes and learned just what to do and how to show my dog and we did pretty good after that. Good luck and if you want any more information, feel free to conatct me on dogster with questions.

Kazba answered on 7/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer