Neera

I want to know if it is good to wet my shelties with cold water to make their hair grow???

I ask this because the owner of the place where I take them to agility training told me that my shetlands have the size and the caracteristics to go into a beuty padgeant but they don't have enough hair... should I do this with my dogs┬┐?

Asked by Neera on May 4th 2010 Tagged shouldiwetmysheltieswithcoldwater in Professional Grooming

Answers

Cold water won't make your dog's coat any different. You'll just have cold dogs, which isn't good.

Your dogs are lovely, enjoy them as they are and don't worry about whether they are "pageant" material or not. And certainly don't expose them to a chill or discomfort for what amounts to truly no good reason.

:-)

Max (aka Sebastian)

No, I don't think you should. IMHO, It seems a little mean to just make your dogs suffer through cold baths in hopes thier fur will grow, for what a ribbon?
If you want a healthy fuller coat then you should look into what type of food and treats you are feeding them, maybe add some fish-oil into thier diet, look into what shampoos may help thier coats appear healthy those sort of things, not cold baths, how would you feel if you were forced to have cold showers every morning.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 5/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gidget

Diet is the only thing I know of that is good for coats. Check with a groomer, they could probably recommend a vitamin that is safe for dogs and promotes hair growth.

I have never heard of the cold water method. In humans, it keeps hair cleaner longer, as it closes off the pores, but it doesn't promote growth.

Two of my 4 dogs like baths. Gidget LOVES her swimming pool. I keep cold fresh water in it all season long. Hector loves walking under the water hose while watering plants. I have never noticed any type of hair growth on either of them.

If your dogs like the cool water, and it doesn't make them miserable, then try using a kiddie pool to see if they will play in it. You can prove or disprove this method without torturing your dogs, but personally, I am going to say it won't work.

Be sure to post back and let us know results.

Gidget answered on 5/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Coat length is mostly determined by genetics. If your shelties came from parents and/or grandparents without good coats it is likely they will not have good coats, either.
That said, dogs under a year seldom have the full coats of adults in show condition. The puppy coat usually is blown about 8 to 10 months and it takes up to a year for the adult coat to fully come in. Climate will also play a part in their coat fullness. Many show dogs are kept in air conditioning during Summer months to help keep the coats full.
Cold water is going to do absolutely nothing for coat growth!!

Saphira

Your dog is still young for one thing. Let them have time to mature. Putting cold water on them won't do anything but make them an unhappy, cold wet dog. Also if the parents don't have big coats then don't expect them to have big coats either. They are beautiful pets just the way they are. Enjoy them they are wonderful dogs.

Saphira answered on 5/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer