Harley

I want to know how long a dog is in labor before she has her pups! It is day 62 and her temp. is 98.4(has been that way

for about four hours. Earlier she was pacing and licking herself and even nesting now she is sleeping under my bed should I be worried? She does have a whelping box but she will not get in it! She will only go under my bed, but I put a big blanket next to my bed hopeing that when she starts delivering she will get on the blanket

Asked by Harley on Jan 23rd 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Under you bed?!? You mean you didn't prepare her a whelping box!?! Dogs can be in labor for hours at a time. If, when she starts whelping, it takes more than an hour for the next pup to arrive...then you start worrying and calling the vet.

Lacey Luv

Day 62 and the panting/pacing/nesting signal labor is starting. You have probably had pups by now and you really need to make a secure box for your mama and the babies. We always use a very large plastic crate that we seperate the bottom part from. Even though the pups are tiny, they can move around a lot so the box is needed. Make sure you take mom to the vet after the whelping to examine and make sure no pups are left inside and all afterbirths are gone. Good luck

Lacey Luv answered on 1/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer