I want to get a puppy but no on can watch it because I'm at school and my parents are at work, what can I do?

Asked by Member 1087407 on Jan 26th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Believe it or not, many dogs are left home alone. I leave my dog at home alone because both my parents work and i go to school. I got my puppy in the holidays and using that time i trained her to be indipendant. I went out for and hour and gradually doubled the time. This teaches them that no matter how many times you leave or how long you're gone, you'll always come back. So i suggest that you get your puppy in the holidays spend some time with her/him and gradually train him/her :)

This is something you discuss as a family. If you are old enough to pay for everything, then he is your puppy, but if your parents are paying the way he is either their dog, or a family pet. Again..something to discuss. Realistically, a young puppy can not be left alone for 8-10 hours without someone taking him out. Dog walkers, dog day care, or waiting until summer when you can spend time housebreaking, crate training, & obedience training is better, Your family must decide how much time, money they can afford & what you want from the DOG not the PUP. Do tons of research on breeds..what each one needs & how they are..in general. Good luck on your road to dog ownership!

Zack

First, thank you for taking time to think about these issues before getting a puppy. Many people aren't responsible enough to do that. Here are some more things to consider:

I agree with Wiley. Also don't forget your after-school and evening activities, you will have to give up many of them if you have to be home to care for a puppy. Are you ready for that?

What will you do when you graduate/finish school? Will you have time to care for a dog then? Will you live in a dog-friendly place?

If this is to be a family pet (your parents are helping to pay the cost), then this needs to be a family decision. If you're under 18, legally it's your parents' responsibility to provide care for the dog if it's living in their home. Are they willing to do this? Are they willing to take care of the dog when you cannot? Discuss with them if you can afford a dog walker or day care, if you're willing to do crate training, if someone can come home throughout the day, etc.

Zack answered on 1/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I don't recommend getting a puppy but rather getting an adult or senior dog. There's A LOT of things that go into owning a dog. Here's a list of what to think about before getting a dog -

Who will be the main caretaker? Who will take care of the dog?
How many hours will the dog be left alone every day?
How much grooming can you handle?
How many hours a day will you be able to train and socialize the dog?
How much exercise will you be able to provide the dog each and every day?
How active are you and which activities are you wanting to get your dog involved in?
Who will pay for the dog? Who will pay for the supplies, vet bills, grooming and boarding fees? Dogs can be costly!
Who will clean up the messes your dog makes?
Do you have a fenced in yard?
Where will the dog stay during the day?
What breed, gender, age and size of dog are you looking for?
Do you want a dog that barks a lot?

Research, research, research and educate yourself on the breed of dog you are wanting.