Takoda

I want to get a companion for my male Husky, what should I look for?

I know the breed very well, so I know the requirements of a high energy dog, which is part of why I want to get him a companion. However, I could use some help in choosing the right one...

I live by myself with my Husky, so while he is independent, he can get a lil jealous.
He is a 2 year old un-neutered male. Behaves well but very strong willed, i.e. husky
I assume neutering would be a must in getting another dog?
The new dog will be a rescue dog - Any not so obvious traits to look for?
Male or Female?
Age? Keeping in mind I need an active dog

Asked by Takoda on Oct 19th 2012 Tagged rescue, husky, seconddog in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Buddy

I would reccomend a male Alaskan Klee Kai puupy. Alaskan Klee Kais are basically smaller huskies. In fact, they are known as Mini Huskies to some owners. I would reccomend a male dog because, even if you get Takoda neutered, some dogs get along better in same sex pairings. I would get a puppy because he will get along with Takoda best if he grows up with him. Even if he is a rescue dog, if you adopt him at a young age, he will spend most of his life with him which would make them most likely to get along. Hope this helps!

Buddy answered on 10/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Alikazam

Take your dog with you and have him help pick a friend. Sometimes the most unlikely prospect to you can turn out to be his best friend. A few years ago my male golden retriever fell for an older male jack russel mix. Buddies can come in any shape or size. Many rescue places foster dogs in private homes which encourage you to introduce your pets before you bring them home. Saves having to stress the animals if they don't get along. Find the breed or breeds that interest you and contact that specific rescue to see if they have any dogs available

Alikazam answered on 10/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Have you looked into the Irish Setter and the Irish Red and White Setter? I would recommend taking the time to research those two breeds. Setters make great dogs if you're a Setter type of person.