I want a pet/watchdog.I'm 69 & diabetic w/ nueropathy & take sleeping pills.Can't jump out of bed early in the AM to

I want a pet/watchdog.I'm 69 & diabetic w/ nueropathy & take sleeping pills. I can't just jump out of bed early in the AM to take him/her out. I can't let him/her out on their own because my wife has gardens all over the yard. Fencing them off is not a viable solution. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your help.

Asked by Member 1156962 on Feb 25th 2013 in Other Dogster.com

Answers

Mika

Is your wife available to take the dog out in mornings? Unfortunately taking a dog out in the morning is with any breed any age dog.....as we have to pee in the morning when we wake up, so do they.
So if there is no one who can do that, then I am not sure a dog would be best for your situation.
Good Luck

Mika answered on 2/26/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Becca

It's quite true, that you should make provisions for food, water and Potty, but, there are pads and paper which can make do for that, until a more ambulatory person can assist, if you can't.

As far as what kind of dog...
I assure you, that even the smallest Dog can make a ruckus sufficient enough to wake or deter just about anyone. So, get a dog which is suited for your environment, not just because you think a big dog is more threatening. Early detection and a persistent alarm, is more threatening to a bad guy, than is a deep growl.

Becca answered on 2/26/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I disagree Becca..no offence. There are necessities for caring for any living creature. They are meant to fit into our lives, but we must look after their needs as well. There is just NO substitute for letting a dog outside or walking. I don't believe any dog should eliminate indoors.
Dogs are a joy, but are also a huge responsibility. If you are not prepared to deal with that, I question whether a dog is right for you at this time.
Perhaps you could hire a dog walker to come first thing every day. That way the dog gets out, does its business and also gets exercised. This will lead to a calmer dog during the day.
I also suggest that you look into adopting an adult dog from a rescue or shelter. Many are fostered, so you will be able to get a lower energy breed with training done already, and a known temperament.