I want a Great Dane but work 9 - 5 and I am concerned that this won't be enought time for a dog who love to be w owner

Asked by Member 894741 on Sep 28th 2009 in Great Dane

Answers

Hailey May

Have you ever owned a great dane? Have you read about the breed to see if its best for you and your family? They are very hyper dogs, and locking them up from 9-5 wouldn't be a good idea. because later on you would have to considder re-hominh him/her. & i don't believe thats right. Plus they do love being around their master, and that wouldn't work unles he/she went to work with you. Please read about the breed and think HARD before you get it or ANY other breed! Thanks! Keep Me Posted.

Hailey May answered on 9/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jet

Maybe you could adopt a senior or older adult Great Dane that doesn't need as much exercise as a pup or young adult. I think that if you spend as much time as possible to train, care for, and love your dog, then go ahead. However, if your dog starts to seem unhappy or never tired, it may be a good choice to give your dog a good home.

Hope this helps!

Jet answered on 9/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I hate to see any dog left that long. if you can't make it back for a mid day break, see if a neighbor or professional dog walker can. Also, doggy day care is a great solution.

Boo

Unless someone else is at home while you're away at work, I'm going to say it's a bad idea.

Oh sure, you could get the dog, then stay away for eight to ten hours per day, come home tired to a huge mess of destroyed furniture, shoes, poop piles and garbage strewn all over the place. Then come back to dogster and ask questions about why your dog is behaving that way and should you re-home it, yada, yada, yada.

I'm sorry. It's just not good to leave a new pet at home for that length of time without letting it out for excercise and pottying.

If you insist on getting any pet at all, then please do it when you have vacation time from work so you can bond with your new pet and train it properly.

New pets don't conveniently fit into OUR schedules. As owners, we must train them to a schedule (usually theirs at first). It takes time for a new pet to acclimate to its environment. They need to feel safe and secure at home and with you first.

Boo answered on 9/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer