I want a dog very bad. What kind should i get?

I am 16 years old and i am moving soon, to Austin Texas. My mom said that when we get settled in i can finally get a dog. I am ok with exercising and would like a medium or bigger dog. We will have a medium house, so size is not a issue. I love animals, and have been waiting for this for a while. I thought maybe a german Shepard but maybe it would be too hot.

Asked by Member 1167848 on Apr 29th 2013 Tagged dog, type, breed in Breeds

Answers

Sandy

I think a German shepherd may get really hot in Texas! Have you been to animal planets website and taken their breed quiz? They also have dogs 101 videos for every breed. You should watch some of those. I think a whippet might be a good fit for u if u don't mind a dog u cannot let off leash if not fenced in. Australian cattle dogs are medium sized and fun as well. Or u might like a Brittany.

Sandy answered on 5/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

German Shepherds are extremely active and high energy dogs, they're not for the first time dog owner and definitely not for the inexperienced. How about starting with something a little less high strung?

How about a Beagle? They're awesome little dogs that are very happy go lucky and loving. They are great with people and usually good with other dogs. They are active dogs with plenty of energy. They are very fun dogs.

Pick up some books on the Beagle, some of the books to pick up would be the Training Your Beagle by Kristine Kraeuter, The Beagle Handbook by Dan Rice and a A New Owner's Guide to Beagles by David Arnold.

Caspian

I think you should rescue a dog. Go to a shelter and you might find the right dog there. If you don't want to go to a shelter I think the breed of dog you should get is a Labrador Retriever. A Labrador might even be at a shelter.

Caspian answered on 5/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Donovan Rest in Peace

Before you get any dog you should learn about the different breeds. Animal Planet's Dogs 101 is an excellent source of information on many breeds and the shows are fun to watch. It sounds like you want a dog that gets fairly big when grown. I am partial to boxers. They are wonderful, friendly, intelligent, active dogs. Their only problem with the heat would be their breathing because of their short nose. But any dog you get will have some issues with the heat and you will have to play with and walk in the early hours and evenings. Just do some research first so you're happy with the dog you get.

Donovan Rest in Peace answered on 5/16/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Delta

Well, I think that Texas might be a little too much for a shepherd. But, they are excellent dogs and are good for protecting your house. I think that if you have owned a dog before, then you should get a shepherd as long as you provide a shady, cool place for it. But, if you are a first time dog owner, then I would suggest a older, Labrador retriever. Older dogs are usually less work than puppies, and you can often buy them at a much lower price if you adopt a retired police, or breeding dog if a shelter is not the best option. I adopted my Labrador-Doberman mix from a shelter and she is a great dog. I also reccomend Dogs 101. Good Luck with your new furry companion!

Delta answered on 5/30/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Logan

Congrats on moving to the coolest city in the country! I've lived here for 8 years now, moved here from Canada, and I love it. It's an awesome place, and very dog-friendly!

We have an Aussie Cattle Dog/Kelpie mix, and he's an awesome dog. He's very handsome, and a great boy. They do tend to get a little curmudgeonly toward strangers as they age, so be aware of that. They are medium sized, but have big attitudes. Honestly, they're really great all-around dogs, and there's TONS of ACD mixes and purebreds in shelters in the area.

Regardless of what type of dog you decide on, I strongly urge that, when it is time to get your dog, please check shelters and rescues in the area. We are a 'no kill' city now, something many organizations in the area have worked hard on, and so our shelters are usually pretty packed, sadly. If you need rescue or shelter recommendations, let me know! And good luck here in Austin!

Remember! Keep Austin Weird!

Logan answered on 6/21/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer