I want a dog breed with good health, good with small children, and won't mind being lazy a lot

I have two small children ages 2 and 5 and I am pregnant with another. I don't want a dog with a lot of health problems or grooming needs. What is a good breed to get?

Asked by Member 979341 on Apr 2nd 2010 in Breeds

Answers

Angel

Dogster does have a questionaire that you can fill out that will give you a list of dogs that are compatible to you.

All you have to do is go to the main dogster page, and click "Breed Info" which is on the top of the page. Next look under Find a Dog Breed and click on "Discover Your Dog Breed". From there, you fill out the information and click "Find Breeds" and it will give you a list of dogs with a picture.

Hope this helps!

Angel answered on 4/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

It's really the individual dog in terms of personality and temperament, but generally speaking short haired dogs are easier in terms of grooming.

When you say, "won't mind being lazy a lot"....I get a bit concerned. Most young dogs of any breed are going to need a good dose of exercise and stimulation every day otherwise you are doing to end up with a dog who is bored. And a bored dog is more prone to anxiety, destructive behavior, which obviously you don't want.

Health is unfortunately never really guaranteed in any particular breed or mix, any more than it is in people.

I would visit with any potential "candidates" in person first to see how the dog reacts around the kids.

And I would suggest that if you can't manage two walks a day (or one walk and a good play session per day) then maybe you should consider waiting until the baby is at least a few months old so you can spend time with this new dog. That's a really important part of bringing any new dog, of any breed/age home.

Just born, 2 and 5? No health problems, no grooming needs, no exercise needs?
A stuffed one.
I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I would SERIOUSLY reconsider getting a dog at this time in your life. If your set on getting a dog, I would recommend fostering for a rescue to see if you can manage all that. Dogs are also very expensive. Rosie costs us around 100 dollars, if not more, a MONTH. And she's a small dog. We recently spent 1000$ on her veterinary care and such. Luckily, we can afford to pay for emergency vet visits. In fact, were lucky it didn't cost more.
Please, please, please, DO YOUR HOMEWORK before getting a dog. Here are some useful links:
www.akc.org
www.tampabaygsdrescue.org
www.petfinder.com
www.dogster.com
r
hubpages.com
www.woodhavenlabs.com

Zack

I would strongly suggest that you wait until the baby is here for a few months, so you can determine how much time you will really have for a dog. Any dog is going to need time for training, exercise, and learning to get along with your children.

Zack and Cody were both rehomed with us partly because their families were either expecting or just had a baby and did not have enough time for them. Neither one requires excessive exercise or grooming, both are great with kids, and Cody is perfectly healthy. Both dogs are well-behaved and were already housetrained. This might not happen in your case, but you need to think carefully about this. It's a lot of hard work.

When you are ready, you might look into an adult dog that is already housetrained and has lived successfully with young children, as it may be easier to manage than a young puppy. An adult dog may also require less exercise than a puppy of the same breed, and you might have some general idea of how healthy it is.

Zack answered on 4/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Been there. When we got our late Lab, Candy, as a puppy my sons were 2 & 4.
My husband and sons undid all the training I did on a daily basis.
She took almost a year to completely potty train
As the kids got older and I had more time I improved her behavior. She was a wonderful dog - eventually. Sweet and patient with children, easy going and relaxed.

My sister got a rescued Black Lab - sight unseen - at age 8 months. The dog was super hyper, her husband is also a dog-idiot who un-did any training she did. Then she got preg. with her 3rd child and had no time for the dog. Cricket remains an anxiety case, hyper, jumps on visitors. She is very devoted to her family however. In fact she is really attached to the 3rd child who is almost 4, she follows him everywhere, it's very cute.

My advice - get a 2 year old dog, 50 to 60 pounds in size, short hair, (no hounds or terriers,) that is already past the puppy nonsense.

The Boston Terrier is pretty spectacular.(don't know if I spelled that right )
But, my dog is 9 yr old and I tell you he enjoyed being with my children, other people's children and now my grandbabies. He will watch them and follow them everywhere. He likes to lick them all the time. If I call out that they are coming he cries and sits by the window til they get here. He loves people and he is very very playful but at the same time he can be very calm when he needs to be. They are very athletic but they can not tolerate the extreme cold and or hot temp's. In hot weather they have to have a cool pan of water and shade to play in.
Low groom and live pretty long if you feed them right. They can be couch potatoes and playful too. There are TONS of them at rescues please save one.

Along with what everyone else said about waiting till after the baby - the part that concerns me is this "being lazy a lot." While there ARE breeds that do not require as much exercise as others, all dogs need exercise, and to me that sentence is a nice way of saying, "I have absolutely no intention of exercising this dog."

Lilly (RIP)

You can go to www.akc.org and do some research.

Maybe a Shih Tzu? If you keep their hair short there is no grooming or shedding. My Shih Tzu, Lily, is great with kids (My 3 month old sister and my 4 year old cousin who she lived with for 3 years)

Maybe go to your local animal shelter and meets some dogs and see if any are a good match?

Lilly (RIP) answered on 4/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you are set on buying a puppy please download and read, “How To Buy A Puppy” before you consider parting with your money. It is free at www.howtobuyapuppy.net

Buying a puppy without problems is harder than most people think. Finding a responsible and knowledgeable breeder is very difficult.
www.howtobuyapuppy.net

McKayla

If you want a pet that is lazy, don't get an animal Get a pet rock. That concerns me a great deal. What are you thinking?

Dogs are living, breathing, creatures. They are going to have health problems, require vet visits, vaccinations, etc. Dogs require maintenance. They aren't a lawn ornament or a piece of furniture that you can cast aside when you are busy with the baby or the other children.

Also, the ages of your children with another one on the way...ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Is it really wise to take on another living creature, when you will soon have a baby? That is not a smart idea.

Maybe you need to focus on the humans in your family and think about a dog in the distant future when your children are older, more responsible, and when you aren't pregnat/have a newborn.

Think about it...seriously.

McKayla answered on 5/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

SuzyQ

We are really happy with SuzyQ, our dachshund, and we knew they could be good with a family because our neighbor had them. She's a great addition, and loves to snuggle with the kids at story time. Dachshunds love to dig, so as long as you have some engaging treat stuffer toys or activity safe zones in the backyard, you'll probably be ok. Maybe look at adopting an adult dog, versus a puppy if you want to get a dog before you have your next child. I would agree with other posts about making sure you really have the time with all those responsibilities first. Raising a puppy takes time and energy too. Plus, they have a lot of great breed specific rescue groups if you have a breed in mind. Good luck! :-)

SuzyQ answered on 6/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jenkins

Well finding a breed of dog just right for you is hard because not all dogs act the same. I would choose A smallish dog. Sized around jack russle to a chihuahua. I would also get a puppy so the dog would grow up in only invironment and would adjust to your home.
So here is what you need to look for in a dog

1) has been in a good living inviornment
2) puppy (0-3 years old)
3) short hair
4) typical life span of 15
5) no health problems with other generations of that family
6) MOST IMPORTANT: pet was not held in a crate/cage in last home. That is just a red flag for me.
Jenkins was keeped in a crate befor we got him and he was scared of everything and now he is just scared of some stuff because we gave him a good home.
Just remember. Research really comes in handy at a time like this so once you think you have the right dog, google/bing/ask/yahoo some facts about that type of dog.

Jenkins answered on 6/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The Roses, 11/98-6/15/11

I'm pretty concerned with the "not a lot of health problems or grooming needs" as well as with the hope of a lazy dog. You really aren't ready for a dog, because clearly you have never had one. This isn't the time to subject a canine to being your guinea pig, to be later dumped when you realize that the dog is too much. Just the training needs will overwhelm you. No dog has health problems, until they do. You can't predict something like that. Good luck. Try a rescued adult cat. The temperament will be known, and the care easier.

The Roses, 11/98-6/15/11 answered on 6/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Calamity Jane

I would look for an older shelter dog. No particular breed comes to mind that fits all of your needs, but maybe a mix of breeds would. I'd avoid puppies or adolescents, especially with a new baby. When you choose a dog, have your kids be there so you can see how they get along. Ask a lot of questions of the shelter staff, to be sure that you get a dog that's of relatively good health and temperament.

Calamity Jane answered on 7/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Braye

A chihuahua, contradictory to what MANY say, (which REALLY irritates me!!) chihuahuas are awesome with children, EVEN babies!!!!! They are small, small poop, can take a bath in the sink! Honestly and frankly, I don't believe any parent should get a pet for their children, the parent is more needed as a parent and once your kids are grown, get a PET!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE

Braye answered on 7/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Angela

I don't suggest u get al dog because of the young children and there are very few dog breeds that meet all of your criteria, if you must get a dog, I suggest that your NOT get a small dog, especially a toy breed, small kids can hurt and possibly KILL them accidentally, a chihuahua can not be droped even 3 feet. I suggest a larger breed, I have a very loving lab who is semi-tolerant of kids, the very most child-tolerant dog breed i know is the newfoundland, it is however large and does have grooming needs, in general they are not the most energetic dogs, but EVERY single breed in the world needs some exercise, no dog can sit around all of the time. And every breed has some genetic health issues, the best way to avoid this is to buy from a reasponsible breeder that has their breeding stock screened for health problems, these pups are pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Angela answered on 8/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

hmm.... why dont you go to animalplanet.com and take the "what is the best breed of dog for you" quiz.

Benji

Bichion Frises are very good with children of any ages though they do need a lot of grooming the dont need a lot of exercise and have no health problems!
Hope i helped!!!

Benji answered on 2/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miley

i don't know of a single breed that would be good with small children, healthy, not need grooming AND not needing exercise!!! all dogs need to be walked on a regular basis (around 30 min or more a day!!!) i agree that a stuffed dog is most likely the best type of dog for you. if you really want a dog I would first consider the fact that you WILL have to go out every day for a walk/run with your new pup. I know pitbulls, labs and mastiffs are typically great with kids (so are some of the other bully breeds), but they will all become very hyper in the house and possibly hurt a young child on accident if they don't have an outlet for all the energy that they will have all pent up inside.

Miley answered on 2/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chewy

Labrador,German shepherd,Basset Hound.

My lab is awesome with kids, he lets them climb all over him,pull his ears, walk him around on a leash etc. My aunt recently had a baby and he LOVES him,He sits by the baby chair and just watches him and will occasioanlly give him a little kiss on his feet or just lay down near wherever the baby is.

I have also heard german shepherds are very good with children and their families, but they aren't as friendly with strangers as labs and are very protective and loyal.

Labs just as loyal as german shepherds but aren't as "aloof" when it comes to strangers.

Basset hounds are also good with kids and are couch potatoes but still need a daily walk or two.

Each of these breeds shed and need to be brushed a few times a week.

A small breed probably wouldn't be a good idea just because they can get hurt accidently and easily, but also may not tolerate young kids as well as a Lab or GSD would.

Good luck

Chewy answered on 4/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

✨ Finley ✨

We had basset hounds when our kids were little... but not a puppy when our kids were that small. Bassets are great with kids.. lots of loose, saggy skin so they aren't nippy like terriers are around clumsy little kids. Mature bassets tend to be kind of lazy, but even they need walks and exercise to maintain good health.

That said, any puppy needs play, supervision and attention... and it sounds like you do not really have the time for a dog at this stage of your life.

✨ Finley ✨ answered on 4/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zoe

I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They are great dogs with perfect temperament. Fantastic with children. Needs brushed 2-3 times a week, but its great to just send them to the groomer every once in a while for a "puppy cut" type style. They really like just doing whatever you are doing. Zoe lays around most of the day, but also loves going hiking and playing on the playground with kids! She is about 18 pounds. Get a Cavy from a reputable breeder, however, that has done health checks on the parents!! You could also adopt a Cavy, which is great.

www.cavalierrescueusa.org

Zoe answered on 4/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Someone said get a stuffed dog, and I agree. You want what everyone wants in the perfect world, but surprise surprise - even the healthiest breeds can accidentally eat something and get really sick. You never know what's in store. It sounds like you know very well you won't have any time for the dog, and wishing for a "lazy" dog is just selfish. A dog is a member of the family, not a decoration. You need to wait a few years until your children are old enough to help you with the dog, then adopt one. And when you do adopt, go with a dog over 2 years of age, who already has a record of being great with kids.

What makes me sad is that it's people like you, irresponsible people with unrealistic expectations, who end up abandoning their dogs at shelters, where their dogs, terrified and depressed and unable to understand what went wrong, eventually get euthanized.

Gwen

Please, please, please DO NOT GET A DOG

Gwen answered on 8/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Lena

I don't think you're ready for a dog I mean at least wait till your baby is born. So many dogs in a shelter and rescue are there because the previous owner had a baby or didn't have time for it. How much time do you honestly think you will have for a dog. Also one that's "lazy" are you kidding me??!!

As said Get a Stuffed Dog

Lena answered on 8/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Shadow

I think Spaniels are great. I am a spaniel puppy and am very patient. Like all young dogs, I have a few mouthing problems, but I never bite down and this would quickly be cured. Because of my type of spaniel breed (we think I am a Field Spaniel) I need very little grooming. A swim every once in a while is pretty much the extent of the grooming I get. My dogsister, Hazel, is a border collie australian shepherd mix and she was raised with a baby. She never bit him and even allowed him to crawl on her. She is a healthy older dog and hardly needs grooming.

Shadow answered on 9/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cash

A Golden Retriever. We got ours when my son was 4 months old and my daughter was 2. Because I was a stay-home-mom at the time, it made the training a piece of cake- in 5 years he's only peed in the house once and that was because I got stuck running errands and didn't get home in time (poor guy peed on the door he had tried so hard to hold it!). Don't listen to the "stuffed dog" people. You're a mom of 3 young kids, you know what you can handle and what you can't. The Golden is the EASIEST dog to train. I've had a variety of different dogs throughout my life, so take my word for it. Goldens are wonderful with kids, eager to please, and don't mind the not-so-gentle ways of small children. They can match the energy of a a houseful of small kids, or lay around all day like a lazy teenager. Most adaptable dog I've ever been around. If the shedding bothers you, have him shaved- I do. When puppies, they'll chew on everything just like a baby. So if the house is baby-proof, its perfect

Cash answered on 10/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

girlie the first cutest dog

the good breed to get is a japanese akita because this is a breed you don't have problems too much japanese akita cannot bark this breed won't make your new born baby awake this has no dog odor and it's good with children ..

girlie the first cutest dog answered on 12/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Skye

You have time for a new dog? Really? Wait a few years. When you are ready research some dogs. Remember kids are rough on dogs, even when they don't mean to be - tripping on them, falling on them, sudden movements and noises - you are looking for mellow, durable, and tolerant animal. This usually rules out the toy breeds, many terriers, border collies, cattle dogs, or other very high drive breeds. Some of the biggest, and to some scariest, breeds may fit the bill - mastiff types, american bull dogs, etc along with some of the softer breeds like labs and goldens.

Skye answered on 1/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dixie

I would not suggest a dog that has been mainly seen in the country but a dog that i would would be a yorksheire terrior

Dixie answered on 1/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mozart

Bichon Frise are good with kids and pretty strudy they can be anywhere from 10lbs-24lbs. I have a Bichon/poodle puppy and he loves kids and is not snappy towards them like my Yorkie is. The Bichon Frise does need a lot of grooming but you could always keep them trimmed short. Also if you really want a dog please look in the shelters first there are tons of dogs who need good homes.
also if you get a dog they need to get walked the only dogs that would not mind watching tv all day would be a senior dog and because they are old they could be snappy towards children.

Mozart answered on 2/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer