Roxy

I took my great dane to meet with her stud (he is in heat) and she snapped at him when he was trying to mount her??

I figured that this means that she is not ready yet to breed that she isn't far enough into her heat cyle.. but is snapping at the male normal????

Asked by Roxy on Apr 19th 2009 in Great Dane

Answers

This is basic breeding knowledge...Yes, it is normal...She may also just be a bitch that won't stand for a stud & will need artificial insemination.
Just a heads up your bitch is way too young to breed & is still a growing pup herself...Please wait to breed her until at LEAST the age of 2 & have the necessary OFA's & health testing done first...There are already plenty of unwanted Dane's in rescue & even shelters.
Read this...Substitute Great Dane for Lab...Sadly it's all the same.
www.woodhavenlabs.com

Yes, yes, yes. I find that Woodhaven site a great resource. I find some of the links questionable, but over all a well balanced site.

I'm in complete agreement with the others.

Breeding requires much more than just basic knowledge. I've been researching the subject for more than 3 years.
cookiemiller.tripod.com

Maybe she's smart and knows she's too young to breed and that you have not done your research. *sigh... Another irresponsible owner trying to breed her puppy... And people wonder why there are so many dogs in shelters. Normally I'm not this rude, but in this case, I can make an exception.

♥Angel Sasha ♥

You need to ask yourself a question: Why is it so important for me to breed my dog? It's not for the benefit of the dog, certainly not for the benefit of the puppies. What is it about for you?

♥Angel Sasha ♥ answered on 4/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Marley

She is only a year?!?!?!That is too young.My friend bred her Great Dane her first heat,and she died because of labor complications!How stupid can you be?She is not even old enough for health testing.Wow!

Marley answered on 4/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer