I think that my min pin might be pregnant, How do I tell?

my male min pin has mounted my female min pin several times and after every time she bled, is it possible that she is pregnant and if so HOw do i tell without taking to vet yet.

Asked by Member 820040 on Jun 4th 2009 in Answers

Answers

shiloh Bear

you should of had her fixed www.woodhavenlabs.com substitute min pin for labs

shiloh Bear answered on 6/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Einstein

Take her to the vet to check

Einstein answered on 6/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Katie

Hi there,

If your dogs are not fixed and the male has been mounting the female, you can be pretty sure she's pregnant. I'm hoping that she's between two and six years old, that both dogs have competed and won in dog show competitions, and that you have homes lined up for the puppies... I hope.

Please get your girl to the vet ASAP. Small dogs often have problems delivering puppies, so you might have to start saving up for a C-section, depending on what the vet tells you.

Today I saw three Min Pin mixes in our local county shelter. Dogs that are not spayed or neutered will try their hardest to mate, thus creating unwanted puppies who suffer in shelters. Please have your dogs spayed and neutered.

If you do end up with puppies, please get them spayed or neutered, or create a contract that requires their new owners to do so. One fertile female can produce dozens of pups and thousands of descendants, and most won't find a loving home.

I wish you and your doggies the best of luck!

Katie answered on 6/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

"HOw do i tell *without taking to vet* yet." (Emphasis mine.)
Short answer: you don't. Having close contact with the vet during a dog's pregnancy is important.

Judging by the fact that you knew they were breeding and apparently didn't attempt to stop them, I can only guess that this breeding was purposely planned by you. And pardon my raw bluntness, but why would you breed without even this very basic knowledge? Don't you know how dangerous breeding without knowing what you are doing is to your dogs? Breeding is not simple. It's much, much more than puting two dogs together and raising puppies. There's complications that often occure during both pregnancy and whelping to be prepared for, there's much-needed know-how that goes with correctly raising puppies, and so much more. Not to mention breeding dogs that weren't genetically health-tested and who aren't breeding quality (ie, fit breed standard exceptionally well, can do what breed was originally bred for, have appropiate temperament, passed all health tests (NOT just a vet check) raised the risk of raising puppies that may have health issues including hip dysplicia, collie eye anomaly, and the like. The health issues often do not show up until the dogs are in their senior years.

To breed responsibly, one needs at the very least two years of very thorough study and a reputable mentor who has had at least 10 years of experience. I've been researching dog breeding for more than 3 years, and I'm not anywhere near ready to breed a litter yet.
My website is an *introduction* to the world of responsible breeding:
cookiemiller.tripod.com
~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

she's probably pregnant, and of course you need to take it to the vet

Kayak

I hate it when someone asks a question and some high and mighty person "bites the questioners head off" Katie answered the question with diplomacy and kindness encouraging the study of responsible breeding. The result of irresponsible breeding can lead to a shelter full of unwanted dogs. This makes us dog lovers angry and not everyone answers breeding questions nicely.
Take a page from Katie's book Tiffany.

Kayak answered on 6/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am not trying to be mean but why would you let your male mount her several times.
Do you know if he breds her once then in another week breds her again she can have two litters?
And then there is so many pups also inside it could kill her? I would take her to vet soon, how long ago has all this happened? She could be in big trouble, really I am being totally honest. and worried for your dog.

PJ

well you cant tell without taking your pet to the vet. my min pin was pregnant and i asked the the same Questions. I had to go to the vet if i didnt my min pin would have died.

PJ answered on 6/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer