ROXY

I think my new adopted dog is a great dane mix but my husband says it could be a pit bull. What do you think?

Asked by ROXY on Jan 8th 2009 in Breeds

Answers

Probably a Great Dane from that one picture, but to tell you more accuratly, I'd need to see more pictures.
I can see where he thinks Pit Bulls.
All kinds of breeds, even the stockie-type Labs, are comoonly misidentified as Pit Bulls.
No thanks to the biased news media, people tend to think that any dog with a boxy head and muscular neck is a Pit Bull. Trouble is, many breeds have a boxy head and a muscular neck.
Whether she has Pit Bull on her or not, she looks beautiful and sweet. Enjoy her.

I do not see any Pittie in your dog...I see gangely young Dane though!

I def. see great dane! maybe pit but I don't really see it.

I don't know, those look like greyhound eyes to me. I'm guessing Great Dane and Greyhound??? :-)

Stormy

I dont see any pitbull resemblance in the face at all!! They do have DNA tests you can get a clear answer what your dog is mixed with!! I know a couple who we all thought had a "border collie/lab" mix... Turned out she had about 10 breeds mixed in with her.. and Spaniel was the most predominant!! Pretty cool though.

Stormy answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a pit and what i see that looks somewhat the same is the top of the snout that leads back to the eyes and the top of the head, that all looks the same to me...but even if your pup is mixed with pit, dont worry, they ARE NOT BAD DOGS and they do not turn without warning! if you dont know a dogs history, sure the unknown is possible however if you get the dog young and raise them in a loving way, then they are your friend for life! Mine is pure and doesnt listen to a thing i say, unless it envolves food or a car ride, but i trust him with all of my heart!

Gypsy

Dane looks to be predominate but you really can't tell what else may be in. A Pit Bull is a medium sized dog and really shouldn't be too heavily muscled. I look like a lab but without papers there is no way to be sure.

I was used for breeding at one time before Mom got me at the Pound.

It is hard to be sure with just the one picture but she looks like she is going to be a big dog.

(No one has mistaken me for a pit)

Gypsy answered on 1/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Charlie

Haha! At 4 months with those big old feet as big as her snout? I say Dane. The boxy head/eye look can be confusing, but she's gonna be a BIG girl!! she's beautiful.

Charlie answered on 1/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sagittarius-1997-9/16/09

Sometimes its hard to tell from pictures but she does not look like a pit to me at all. Possibly Great Dane with some lab.

Sagittarius-1997-9/16/09 answered on 1/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lily

Hmmm...it definitely looks like a dane, but if you are still unsure, I bought a home dna test for my mixed breed dog for about 80 dollars, and all you do is swab the inside of their cheek for some cells, put it in the tube they give you and mail it to their lab to get tested. They send you back a certificate saying what breed's dna they found in the cell sample. I guess this could be the sure way to find out what your doggie is! Hope this helps and good luck! :]

Lily answered on 1/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

I think she is definitely Great Dane, maybe with some Pit, I almost see Lab.
I'll say she is a Dane, Pit and Lab mix.
I agree with the other poster, not all dogs with a square head and muscular neck are Pits!
I've even seen a Red Heeler thats head was so square and muscular, my dad insisted it was a Pit! BOL!

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Great Dane definitely. My dog is a Dane/Pit mix and she looks it. But i don't see any pit in that puppy of yours. Look at her long nose and feet.

Isis

I have a 1 1/2 year old black Great Dane puppy, and from the looks of your pup, she definately has SOME Dane in her, if she's not full-blooded. This is pretty much just what Isis looked like when she was young.

Isis answered on 2/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Corbin

I don't see pit bull at all in her. I have a dane mix, and her face kinda resembles his except her head seems a bit more narrow.

Corbin answered on 7/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer