Jessie Jane

I think my dogs deaf how can I tell if she is or not?

I just got a 6 week old puppy and she doesn't respond to loud noises like if I call her name clap or whistle she wont even respond. I think she may be deaf. How can I tell?

Asked by Jessie Jane on Oct 28th 2012 Tagged deafdogs in Puppies

Answers

If you think she is deaf, then I would have vet check her. It's best if you find out now. Then you can start training her as a deaf dog. Good Luck with her. She's very cute! :)

Tiara

My dog here is deaf. She lost her hearing from being abused when she was a puppy and had head surgery. I took her in and suspected she could not hear right away. The vet idea is good, but what I did was to clap my hands behind her and see if she reacts, I also did the whistle. And she also did not react to either. A deaf dog is not hard to train. It may take a bit longer, but she has learned and does well in my household. We just keep an eye on her when she is not in the fenced yard because she can not hear things coming.

Tiara answered on 10/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer