I think my dog spained his leg, what should I do?

He can walk and run a little. Tends to favor the leg. Apllying pressure to the leg does not bother him. Tried massaging him. Has not affected his eating or drinking. He just yelps when he is walking. He was running around fine earlier.

Asked by Member 938919 on Jan 16th 2010 in Senior Pet

Answers

Hector

I recently took one of my dogs to the vet for the very same reason. He hurt his leg just before Christmas, but it didn't seem to be very bad,painwise, but the limp would never go away. I kept thinking it was getting better, but it didn't, so finally I decided to see what was wrong.

The vet can't really tell you anything without putting him under, and doing xrays. Basically she gave my dog previcol, and told me if it wasn't better in 10 days, to bring him back and he may need knee surgery.

I gave him the previcol for 2 days, until I read about the side effects, and I took him off of it. The previcol seem to help immediately, and the leg still is doing much better even after he is no longer taking the meds.

I think really it is a matter of keeping him idle and giving the sprained leg time to heal, as my dog keeps re-injuring it because of his activity level. If you have a safe anti-inflamatory it may help along with resting the injured leg.

Hope this answer helps.

Hector answered on 1/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First I would recommend a vet visit to make sure it is just a sprain. Better to be safe than sorry.
Deogie has had a few pulled muscles and a sprained ankle in his life time. Deogie being so large (he's kind of clumsy BOL) and can often slip or slide, especially in the winter. I take Deogie to the vet for everything, it eases my mind knowing for sure what I'm dealing with.
Rest is what was required for him. No running, no walks, the less weight on his injuried leg was what was needed. Lots of cuddles, and after a few days he was always feeling better.
If you find your dog isn't getting better with rest, a vet visit is defiately in order.
Have a good one.

I don't know if the dog took a fall or such but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get him to the vet, it could be a fracture or break.
If you get an o.k. from the vet then you can place warm compresses on them , those can be dry heat or moist heat. Then after the heat wrap do gentle massaging and that should heal in less then 3 days. good luck.

I would definetly bring my dog to the vet. The vet can always help and if the vet doesn't, find a new vet.