I think my 1 year old Jack wheaten starting to have food allergies

I would like to know what brand food and flavor I should switch my wheaten . He just turned a year and is scratching like crazy please help!!!

Asked by Member 1148274 on Jan 5th 2013 Tagged foodallergies in Food & Nutrition

Answers

You can try anything that's less/no grain and less filler. Also try changing the protein. If he is on chicken, try lamb or fish. California Natural has grain free. Good Luck!

Beau

As Kali said, you can try switching him over to a formula with less/no grains. Brands that contain wheat, soy, or meat-by products can cause itchy, dry skin (allergy-like symptoms) and sometimes even digestive upset.

There's a lot of good higher-quality brands out there you can try, such as Earthborn Holistic, Wellness, California Natural, Canidae, Natural Balance and Innova.

If you notice your pup is still itchy, you can consider grain-frees, as it can perhaps be a grain gluten issue. All the brands mentioned above also make grain-free formulas, but other good ones are Taste of the Wild, EVO (Innova), Orijen and Acana.

A couple brands to look into if you're on a budget is Diamond Naturals and Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (made by the same company as Taste of the Wild). Both are good foods and friendlier on the budget.

Beau answered on 1/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tiara

Nutro makes a limited ingredient grain free food. This means they have cut out much of the things that could be causing problems. My westie mix has had been better off since I put her on it.

Tiara answered on 1/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer