Sheba Loo(Gertie)

I see the standard answer for seperation anxiety seems to be THE CRATE. What about for an older dog?

My baby is 10 today, I've had her since she was 5 wks old. She's chewed through a crate like nothing, losing a K-9 in the process. Last July her brother died, and she chewed through 2 wood doors at the kennel, and a chain link gate, because she wanted out. She chewed a 2 ft x 3 ft hole in our wall when left for 3 hrs last time. I have taken to bringing her with me now 24/7. I don't want to drug her up again, the thundershirt just made her hot, pheromones did nothing. She has had seperation issues all her life when I worked but now I'm disabled and her brother died, I'm not getting another to replace him. My fiance works construction out of state, and I will be travelling with him when Sheba's time comes. Any suggestions???? No crates. Thank you.

Asked by Sheba Loo(Gertie) on Feb 10th 2013 Tagged seperationanxietyinolderdogs, behavior in Behavior & Training

Answers

A certified behaviorist.

Have you tried a wire crate? You said chain link, but was that a fenced area or a crate? Have you tried leaving the TV on? Music? Giving her things to do? Like filling a kong w/peanut butter or her favorite treat and freezing it? Nyla-bones? Tire her out before you leave? If you have tried all of that, then I agree with Obi. A certified behaviorist might be the way to go for you. Good Luck!