I saw the dog groomer holding a dog by his ears ears, shaking him, yesterday. She said he was a biter. Should I report?

She did not hear me come into her store. I heard this dog "screaming" and peeked into the back. She had him by the ears, holding him up in the air. The second she saw me, she moved her hands to the scruff of his neck. She came to the front room and said he had been trying to bite her. What should my next move be? I got my dogs out of there as fast as I could and I won't ever return, but I am worried for her other clients.

Asked by Member 994983 on Jun 30th 2010 in Professional Grooming

Answers

I would tell the manager of this facility. I would report that one of the groomers was abusing the dog by holding his ears, and the dog was not comfortable with it and was being hurt. If you remember the groomer's name, by all means, report this, too. It is extremely wrong to hurt the dog if he trys to bite. Every groomer and dog owner/lover should know this.

If I saw this, I would report. It's inhumane and wrong to hurt a dog.

I too would report it the manager & follow up to see what happens. I don't use a groomer, but I would hate to think my dog was being abused while I wasn't there to protect him!

I would've stood there until the owner of this dog came to pick him/her up and tell them how the groomer was handling their dog. They have a right to know their dog was being mistreated. Word of mouth is HUGE, the more people that know the better.
I would certainly report to the manager. And again word of mouth can make or break a business.

If she is the owner of her own shop, I would pass the word around, quietly.
If she is an employee, she should be reported to the owner/manager.

Personally, I would have called her on the carpet for unprofessional behavior. Groomers, just like Vets and trainers have to take a chomp now and then, or retire!

Fredy

Hi,Yes- You certainly should report it and without any hesitation,nor remorse! And as well making a concerted effort to determine the actual owner of the dog, would be tops on our to do list, along with making a concerted effort to notify. The dog being distended from it's ears could have sustained injury and trauma. And who knows what you were not witness to.
In many states licensing of Groomers has not been mandated. Sadly, abuse at the hands of "Groomers" is Not unheard of and has consequently resulted in the death of animals in their care. Frankly, mishandling and abuse can lead to serious behavioral problems with a dog. Lets say,an adult,elderly person, or a child goes to touch this animals ears and the dog reacts biting them, or worse. The dogs owner doesn't understand what could have fostered such behavior and it is deemed unprovoked. Now serious and possibly tragic consequences involving innocent peoples lives are the end result. Very Sad for ALL as well as the dog.

Fredy answered on 6/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Ty

There are many things you can do if the dog is a problem biter. And none of them include hurting the dog. yes go and report this person, they by no means a professional groomer

Ty answered on 7/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Apollo

Report them to the manager of the facility and make sure to follow up. I bet the other customers have no idea what is going on with there beloved pets.

Even if the dog was trying to bite her there are many different ways to protect yourself from dog bites. I am almost 100% sure they keep muzzles on hand for that kind of thing. No reason to grab a dog by the ears, they is a very sensitive part.

Apollo answered on 7/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

well that's probably why the dog is a biter.
Yes, turn them into the better business bureau,(this will help the lady who owns the dog, if she ever takes them to court) the manager will want to know, take a picture of the incident with your phone, if you can let the real owner know what happened do so!.
I have never heard of a groomer fighting back with a dog and doing things to make the dog more aggressive.
This is the kind of thing that just makes my blood run hot thinking of
I would not return with your dog ever take the steps any dog lover would to let as many people know what you witnessed and find a groomer who has strict rules on how to handle dogs correctly.. Poor little dog, I feel bad for him right now.

Starbutt

I would of stepped in and stopped this action and LOUDLY anounced where is the Owner or PERSON IN CHARGE over the person you you saw doing this THEN tell the person you are calling the SPCA and reporting her behaivor and see what they think should be done? and then tell the person that before the dog was to be groomed she should of muzzled the dog and it is her own fault the dog bit her. If she was paying attention she might of seen this coming and would not of got bit.

There is no excuse for this behaivor and I would be as loud to find someone thet could fired HER BUTT.

but this is me.

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 7/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer