I rescued a pup who was confined to a crate 24/7. He constantly soils in the cage. How do I train him not to do this?

He is a rescue dog that was never let out of the crate & was starved. He does both duties in his crate constantly & I am unsure of how to break him of this habit. All methods I know of do not really help due to his prior circumstances. He also eats it. We are trying to reward him for going outside so when he does his duty we give him a biscuit. This is the only time we give him biscuits. It does not appear to be working. Help!!!

Asked by Member 922106 on Nov 24th 2009 Tagged cratetraining, housebreaking in Coprophagy (Stool Eating)

Answers

you can use food(praise) toy (toy praise) or verbal(vocal praise) or even petting (physical praise)
it takes time for it to click.
clean the crate with natures miracle, you might have to soak it. The odor can seep into the plastic.

Nelly

I don't have any real suggestions for you but I just wanted to say thank you for having such a big heart and rescuing this pup. Have patience with whatever method you choose and give it time to work before you give up and try something else. Bless your great big heart and give that pup a hug from us!

Nelly answered on 11/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Poor baby! He's so luck he has you now!

First, I'm wondering why he needs to be in his crate. Do you have a place where you can block off (baby gates, etc.) that is easy to clean while you housetrain him and build his confidence?

My feeling is that he's got a very negative association with his crate and it will be VERY difficult for you to train him until you remove that stress trigger. Also, the fact that he's been going in there all this time means it's more or less an ingrained behavior, further hampering your efforts to use the crate for "good" now that he's with you.

The eating of the crate is probably from anxiety or stress. There's just not enough room in Answers for all the advice I'd have for you in this situation, so please feel free to email me and I can help further with some tips for crate free housetraining and confidence building.

:-)

Mikey

I'm confused. If you rescued him from being in a crate 24/7, then why is he still in a crate?
Get him out of it and provide a different environment. Put him in a laundry room or bathroom with a fluffy bed and put a baby gate up. Give him a little more freedom.
Let him walk around in the bathroom (put some plastic down on the floor to catch it) so he can figure out that going potty while out of the crate is best. (Don't put the crate in the bathroom. That defeats the purpose of having him in the bathroom).Then he'll learn going on the floor which can translate to the outside ground after he reaches a comfort level. Doing normal dog behavior is foreign to him.

If he lived every second of the day in a crate, then he knows nothing else but using it as his potty. And since he's still in a crate of some sort, he's doing all that he knows.
Create a new life for him that is completely different from his past. No more crate.

Mikey answered on 11/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

definately have a vet look at him. thats a difficult one cuz he never learned to be clean. i had a shepard with similar situation. the other persons answers are good ones. another suggestion would be to simply leave him outside for extended periods to do his business. i used a cable runner and pretty much every suggestion the other person made. make sure you clean the kennel beyond clean. i would suggest getting a new kennel. because no matter how much you clean, scent will still be there, especially in plastic. dogs r smart. he will figure it out. as far as the poop eating. keep him away from it and he won't eat it. my shepard ate hers to but it was because of medical reasons

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 11/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer