I rescued a dobie (2 1/2y.o.male) After 6 months he turned on me. Do you think my female dobie in heat made him do it?

He was a bit aggressive when I got him. Had already bit 2 other people. He listened to me though, and although I never hurt him he did respect and fear me until he just turned on me. I never mistreated him. On the contrary, I think I was too lenient. My female had just started going into her first heat cycle as she started her period a week after I got rid of him. He bit me once then he all out attacked while I was walking him. He went for my neck and I had to fight him off and eventually call the cops for help removing him and sending him to the pound. He was not put down and was adopted immediately after ( i believe) he was fixed. I wish I could undo that, you know, sending him away. I live somewhere where there are alot of children and old people also.He is a red king doberman, 100+ lbs. and easily cost 2,500.00. I still think it was because I did not walk him with the female together. I hope I am wrong, as I still feel terrible about it.

Asked by Member 1157726 on Mar 3rd 2013 in Aggression

Answers

There is so much wrong here I don't even know where to start!!
I guess the most important thing is your equating respect with fear. You have to earn a dog's respect and you most certainly do not do that by causing them to fear you. Respect is gained by you being the one who is in control of the resources, and you fairly handling these resources, it is not about being the most feared. Respect is fair, not bullying, and has to be earned by that fairness.
To attempt to achieve that respect by punishing enough to cause fear in the dog is way, way wrong and will never create respect, it will only create a frightened dog who will bite back when given the chance.
Cost means absolutely nothing in terms of a dog. I have seen completely trained champion dogs "sold" for $250 and mixed breed "mutts" that people spent $4,000.00 buying. This sounds like you were looking for a free stud dog for your female, IMO, and, no, the dog biting you had nothing to do with your dog being in heat.

Totally agree with Toto. I am also appalled at the ruination of another great dog by the hands of man.
Why on earth was this dog adopted out to you when he had a bite history already? Now he's been adopted out again? This dog has no hope/chance.
You should feel terrible. You took on a dog you obviously could not handle, then made it fear you..then he does a natural behaviour & you wonder why?
Spay your female & go to classes so you don't ruin this dog too.
Sorry to be blunt...but this IS your fault. And it has nothing to do with any Cesar crap or "pack walk". Don't let it happen again.

Inspiring fear is not the same as inspiring respect in any being. Whether this dog became human aggressive because of heredity or environment I could not say, but I doubt not going on tandem-leash walks pushed him over the edge.

If you couldn't handle him, the dog should have been humanely put to sleep for public safety and his own safety. Given his bite history, he should never be re-adopted. Nothing good is going to happen here, and you should do everything you can to make sure that Animal Control knows about this. Just think of how terrible you will feel if you do nothing and someone is seriously injured or killed as a result of your silence.

Beau

I'm a little surprised by why you didn't see the any of the red flags coming into this situation.

You've given away you're somewhat familiar with the breed (having already owned one and stating you knew what a "King" was), so I can't say I'm convinced that you're "surprised" by what happened.

Your first, and probably biggest, mistake was adopting this male, bloodline and colour aside. Your second mistake was not working with him on his aggressiveness and setting boundaries right off the bat. You knew he had problems, you didn't address them. Your third mistake was bringing him anywhere near that female before you had him trained.

You set that dog up for failure just as much as you did for yourself. I would not suggest pulling a stunt like that again, due to possibly endangering your life or another dog's.

Beau answered on 3/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer