Snuggles

I pulled off two ticks with my fingers from my 11 month old puppy a few days ago. There was a red lump left.

What should I do? How do I know if I got the whole tick out.? The guy at the pet store said that if I pulled it out with my fingers I didnt get the whole tick out and the head is still inside of her. He told me that the tick will live in her for the rest of her life and suck the blood from her. Is this true. What should I do. How much does it typicallly cost to have a dog tested for Lymes disease and can the vet tell if the head of the tick is still inside of my puppy. I had the Frontline but hadnt gotten around to putting it on my dog . I put it on immediatly after this happened.

Asked by Snuggles on Apr 18th 2010 in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

I would call the vet and talk. They can probably remove the rest of the tick or see what's inside the lump. You may not have to have a lyme's disease test, but take him in as soon as possible and let them know you put frontline on. good luck!

It is normal for there to be a lump, usually quite red, after a tick is removed. If there are any parts left, ie mouth, head, etc., the body seals them off and they are rejected with the scab. They will not regenerate and suck your dog's blood out!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any tick bite, no matter how the tick is removed, will need to be watched for signs of infection. I am a groomer and I pull between 15 and 20 ticks off dogs daily with my fingers. Not one has ever left behind any parts such as a head, etc. The swelling is from the irritation of the bite as well as the digestive enzymes the tick uses to thin the blood. I suspect the man at the pet store was trying to sell you some expensive tick puller, no doubt???

I agree with Toto. You can usually safely remove ticks with your fingers, especially if you have some practice! LOL

But the guy at the store was either a complete idiot or trying to scare you. Ticks will not survive in the body, continuing to suck blood from your dog. There are some parasites that do this to people AND dogs, but unless you're planning a trip to Borneo, don't worry about it.

I personally use some very blunt, short tweezers that I had laying around the house. I grip at the very base of the head, closest to where the tick is buried under the skin and pull out firmly but straight and gently. I personally have better luck with the tweezers since I can control them better than my own fingers in terms of keeping a steady grip on such a small target.

Every tick I've ever pulled out of a dog has left a red lump. It usually goes down in size significantly over the course of a few days and looks like a scab for about a week or two.

She should be fine.

Have a vet look it over. Ticks can actually kill the skin at the site.
Frontline only works on ticks if applied every 30 days
I really stress that you have the vet examine this area.... I had some problems with ticks last year... and they are really bad on dogs. hope snuggles feels better soon.