I pierce dogs' ears, would you have it done?

I have pierced MANY dogs' ears...I've never had anything bad happen, never and infection...its just not a really big deal!

Asked by Member 1001664 on Aug 23rd 2010 in Pet Page

Answers

Last week it was artificial testicles, now it's pierced ears??? Dogs are not humans...as much as some of us would like them to be. I cannot imagine WHY you would pierce a dog's ear, and I can imagine lots of problems resulting from same! Just a few... getting the earring ripped out, SWALLOWING the ear ring and having it pierce an intestine, infection, allergy, etc. Please, limit your piercings to someone who can decide for themselves that they want to poke holes in their skin and leave the poor dogs alone!!!!
BTW... years ago there was an attempt to use a numbered pierced earring to identify dogs and cats. It was a massive failure... animals were getting the earrings caught on all kinds of things and getting massive infections and having to have surgery to fix them. Our local shelter tried it but after a cat died from hanging itself on a drape and a dog needed major surgery to fix a puntured intestine caused by swallowing his earring, we stopped using them.

Gidget

Plain and simple, this is animal cruetly and it IS a big deal.

Gidget answered on 8/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

Belle

Yes, it is a big deal. It is animal cruetly. I really don’t see why you think its not. If I don’t want my ears periced then I don’t get it done. But I have a few times, and YES it does hurt. Think about on a pet. I’m sure I wouldn’t make my animals go threw it, nor let it happen to anyone elses. If I know about it, it won’t be pretty. It IS ANIMAL CRUELTY. GET THAT THREW YOUR HEAD!!

Dogs can eat the ring off, get it in their bellies, as another person as said on here. They can get it caught of stuff. So on and so fourth.

If you didn’t want people telling you how MEAN it is, then you shouldn’t of posted it on here!

I’m glad to say that NONE of my pets nor my friends/family pets will EVER go threw this. This is 100% mean, and I will NEVER have any part of this.

Belle answered on 8/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If I ever seen someone who pierced their dogs ears I would tell them point blank...your CRAZY!!!!
Dogs are NOT humans, no need to wear earrings. I find it difficult when I see a human baby with their ears pierced. Any kind of piercing should be done when a human is old enough to speak for themselves.
Piercings should NEVER be done on pets. What will people think of next????

The issue I have with this is it's not like the dog has any say in it. I mean it would be different if they actually talked and told us they wouldn't mind it.
Many would consider this inhumane because you are jabbing something into the skin and making them hurt , yell out and to satisfy your desire to make them "look" cute. But, if I was to really have this "taste" in cute, I would go with an ear cuff or an old fashioned clip on , as long as it is Not hurting the dog's ear.
Much safer things, supervised of course would be sweaters, bows and scarfs. :)

Aliyana

Never. Simple as that. Why? What's the point. It's not like the dog wants their ears peirced. Let the dog be a dog, not a little toy that we can pretend is our doll. Any dog would be much happier not being all primped and pretty, and just being a normal dog that likes to get dirty and play. There's a time when it gets to be too much. If you want a doll to play dress up with then maybe you should get one. But using a dog for it is not an answer. It's cruel.

Aliyana answered on 8/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Hope that none of your little projects see any type of AC control, police, or anyone who would report you.

6 months house arrest for piercing kitty ears:

www.cbsnews.com

I wouldn't have it done. Dogs go through a lot of things and I could see their ears getting hurt from getting any ear rings caught on things.
I guess the solution might be don't have the earrings on at all unless the dog is being very strictly supervised? Even then I wouldn't do it, though.

But as far as it being cruel? Wouldn't go so far as to say that.