Roxy

I need just any info on dachshunds....

like training,soicalizing, barking problms.... stuff like that any info will help.

Asked by Roxy on Apr 17th 2010 in Dachshund

Answers

Some of the best info on socializing any breed is at www.apdt.com

There is too much emphasis on socializing with other dogs, when people and the human world are where the largest need is after 6 weeks.

Jackie

I have a little dachshund girl, and she loves to be walked twice a day, the rest of her energy she can run off in our pretty big backyard. I dont know about other dachshunds, but my little girl does not seem to approve of other dogs too much. She will bark at any dog that comes too close to her, and she is like most dachsies not afraid of bigger dogs... at all. like I said, she barks at pretty much all dogs in shrill bark that is not too pleasant, but she never barked at a human or anything else unless a dog is around.
Hope this helps!

Jackie answered on 4/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maci

My dachshund never ever stops barking. she loves it! Its her way of saying "i wanna play!".

Maci answered on 4/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tommy

I've been told Dachshunds are "ratters" meaning they like to burrow and it is in their nature to bark a lot. They seem to be very protective in spite of their size. I'd look up Ian Dunbar on the web and see if realted links can help you with lure trianing if that interests you.

Tommy answered on 4/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Preston aka Pressie

I have a longhaired dachshund with a very quirky personality. Before I got Preston, I tried my best to research dachshunds and for the most part he turned out like the info said. He is quirky and rather mild mannered with a stubborn side to him though. I didn't find it hard to train him like some of the articles said that they are. A couple of accidents but then he started to get it right. I used the puppy pads. He is crate trained. I would take him to potty immediately after letting him out of the crate, naps, and 10 to 15 mins after eating/drinking. He does bark but no more than any other dog in my opinion. He barks at loud noises or a car coming into the yard or people that he isn't familiar with...It's just my husband and me so he doesn't get an extreme amount of socialization but when new people are around it's all bark and no bite. I hope this helps :-)

Preston aka Pressie answered on 4/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer