I just recently got 2 Lab/Beagle mix pups from the same litter. One is a male the other a female. Should I worry about t

can the 2 mate when they are mature?

Asked by Member 1001438 on Aug 21st 2010 Tagged mating in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Winnie Mae

CAN they mate? Physically speaking, yes. SHOULD they mate? No. Breeding brother and sister, or Mother/son, or Father/girl is never a good idea. I suggest getting the two spayed/neutered as soon as possible. Animal shelters often give low-cost spay/neuters.

Make sure you do plenty of training, but not with them together. If you take them both everywhere together, they may form too strong of a bond, which will cause severe stress if they ever have to be separated.

Have fun with your two new pups!

Winnie Mae answered on 8/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Belle

Good luck with the pups. :)

Yes, they can mate. But it shouldn't be done. You should get them fixed as soon as their able to, just to make sure nothing happens.

They'll be okay for a little while, but when they begin getting into heat you'll have to seperate them. When your not with them, seperate them. By another room, or sepreate cages/kennels. Until they are fixed.

I've heard of someone getting two dogs like you, sister and brother and the female dog got breed. Mistake, but when they found out it was too late. The puppies were sick, and didn't do too good.

I wish you the best of luck. Puppies are always cute. And Beagle/Labs are cute as well.

Belle answered on 8/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mattie

Please have them spayed/neutered; working w/ a rescue group I know 8-10 million dogs are euthanized each yr because a lack of homes. There are millions of dogs that already need good homes right now that are either in rescue groups or shelters. If you wind up w/ pups what are you going to do with the puppies that you are not able to keep? Do you already have prospective adopters in line? If not this can be a heartbreaking experience! Or are you going to drop them off at a pet shelter keep them all yourself? Remember a litter of 4 small pups can cost $400-$7000 for shots,food,etc. assuming everyone is healthy & you already have all the breeding supplies needed.I’m not trying to rant but please think of the many other dogs dying in shelters & perishing for no reason other than lack of homes. Don’t breed dogs. Please think long and hard before your dogs breed -what will happen after the puppies are born Even if the puppies dont mate you always need watch them to make sure they dont mate

Mattie answered on 8/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lovie Lou- Poochie Poo

yes they can mate.
But please don't. Get them neutered.
To many dogs in this world that need to get good loveing homes. Adopt from local animal shelter or humane society.

Lovie Lou- Poochie Poo answered on 8/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer