I just got my jack two weeks ago- he is not eatting much and has lost a little weight I am concern? and sheddind

Is it common for them to shed alot

Michelle

Asked by Member 876547 on Sep 14th 2009 in Shedding

Answers

Yes, you should definitely be concerned. Get an appointment at the vet's office ASAP.

Don't know the age or where the dog came from but my first concern would be parasites. He should see the Vet immediately.

If he had a bath just before/after he came home that can increase shedding. Shedding due to malnutrition should not be this sudden. External parasites could cause hair loss.

it could just be the stress of a new home. More so if he is overweight and a strange new food too. Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide, www.longliveyourdog.com

Any time you get a dog, it is a good idea to take any medical records you have with it to the vet for a check up. In this case, ask the vet about its weight.

If you have changed food, and it otherwise seems OK, you may stick to the new one.

Many people think short haired dogs don't shed. They do. The best thing is regular brushing.

Jack Russells shed ALOT. My parents vacuum everyday and I still leave their house with dog hair on my clothes so that's not unusual but his not eating and weight loss are something you should be concerned about. Get him checked out and good luck, Jack Russells are great dogs, lots of fun, high energy, intelligent and they really fall in love with their families. :)

JJ Sprout (5/14/09-09/11/09)

Take him to the vet ASAP! We just lost ours and are heartbroken! If you are concerned about your dog, NEVER EVER second guess yourself. Better safe than sorry!

JJ Sprout (5/14/09-09/11/09) answered on 9/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It is routine to get your new dogs a vet appointment the following week or same week if possible.
A new home and new surroundings can be very stressful, be patient the first few days.
But, always a vet can sometimes pick things we don't see out, so maybe the vet is good ideal.
Terriers are seasonal shedders also.
My dog has blown most of her coat now the other two smooth coats are doing it now as well. Buy a very soft paddle brush for him.