I just got a pitbull/boxer mix. I am just wondering how hard he will be to train?

I just got a 8 week old boxer pit mix. He is a love bug. He is going to be well socialized with kids, dogs and cats. We have 3 cats, and he spends a lot of time with his parents, my moms Rot, and this horribly mean poodle mix. He spends lots of time with kids of all ages. He is a bit rough with kids under 5 and kids over 8 are still a bit rough with him. He seems to be taking to all the changes well. He bites alot yet, and he always goes for the face. We read that dominating him is the only way to train him. So when he bites someone that is not playing with him we pin him to the ground, tell him no until he gives up and gets calm again. After he cuddles whoever held him down. I just want to know if he is going to be horribly difficult to train or if he is going to be like my Rot was and be the best dog on earth. I have never owned a boxer or a pitbull so any and all advice is welcome.

Asked by Member 1107783 on Apr 26th 2012 in Methods of Training

Answers

"We read that dominating him is the only way to train him. So when he bites someone that is not playing with him we pin him to the ground, tell him no until he gives up and gets calm again."

I don't know where you read this, but this is a horrible idea (it's not "training" either, while I'm at it) and is an excellent way to turn an exuberant puppy into a hand-shy or even aggressive adolescent. Training a boxer or pit bull basic obedience is no different than teaching a Golden Retriever basic obedience. He bites a lot because he is an 8 week old puppy, and being rough with him and allowing children to be rough with him is not going to help at all.

Take a look here: www.dogstardaily.com

I also recommend the book "Before & After Getting Your Puppy" by Dr. Ian Dunbar.

Bailey

While I understand what you're trying to accomplish by pinning him down, it's probably not the best method of training for a puppy. All puppies tend to bite and nip because they don't know that it's not a socially accepted behavior.

Have you thought about positive reinforcement instead? Remember that all dogs, whether puppies or adults, have a desire to please their owners. So if you shower your pup with praise and love and of course treats when he's behaving correctly, he'll catch on.

I have a 10 week old puppy who is also a bigtime biter/nipper and what we do when he bites is say "No-bite" and tap his shoulder or his ears to direct his attention elsewhere. It's important not to punish him for an action that he's just using to play and/or socialize. I know it's a frustrating habit but if a dog is corrected in a way that it could see as negative or harsh, the training could end up damaging the dog or even making him aggressive.

Hope that helps!

Bailey answered on 4/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer