I just found a tick on my dogs back paw how do i take it out? Please Help!

(in between). he started biting and puting his paw in his mouth and so i checkd it and i found one and now he wont let me take it out! he is very sensitive about his back paws.

p.s.~ i gave my rat terrier a flea and tick bath yesterday and i didnt relize tht he had one until today. help! need advice!

Asked by Member 838215 on May 21st 2009 Tagged tick, ticks, help, advice, backpaw, paw in Flea & Tick Prevention

Best Answer

I'll tell you something that worked EXCELLENT for me. Use a q-tip and tequila. Put the tequila by the head and the tick will let go. Then flush it down the toilet.

answered on May 22nd.

Answers

First, if your dog won't let you get it out of his back paw, take him to the vet and see if they can do it for you. If you don't want to go to the vet, you'll just have to pin him down and force him to let you take it out. Get some tweezers or something you can get a good grip with. Try to get as close as you can to the head of the tick and pull it out. You might have to tug quit a bit on it because it will be stuck to your dog. Make sure you don't leave anything behind and clean the area very good. Monitor this area for a few weeks to make sure it heals properly. You might want to check it from time to time every month just to be on the safe side. I've heard of dogs getting infections in areas they've had ticks, months after the tick was removed. Invest in flee/tick meds for your dog and maybe spray your backyard with animal friendly pesticides.

generally if you put vasaline on it, it will get rid of it but, don't know if this will work in your case, as you dog can lick the area. either use tweezers or take him to the vets as the other person says, seems like good advice if you've never removed one before. good luck.

Burn it out or use vinegar or olive oil on it. It's one of those liquids, I can't remember. If you use tweezers it can leave a part of the tick in there and it can get infected I think. I'm not a vet. You should call one. Good luck

♥Angel Sasha ♥

I just wanted to add; make sure it is a tick. Sometimes it is a mole or a skin tag, and it can hurt your dog if you try and remove it. Good luck!

♥Angel Sasha ♥ answered on 5/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer