Sammie

I just adopted my chiweenie and I have no idea when or if she's ever had a bath, so with that said I really want to give

her one, shes starting to get smelly to me. Any suggestions on what kind of shampoo to use and any tips on how to give her a bath without scaring her? Thanks! :)

Asked by Sammie on Feb 27th 2010 Tagged baths, shampoo, chiweenie in Grooming

Answers

Hector

You can get some good grooming products from your vet, or at a pet supply store. Be careful though, some products will dry their skin and make them itchy. :o(

Water in the face/ears and eyes seems to be the thing that always scares dogs from wanting to take a bath. I would suggest for the first few times, just use a wet wash cloth on the face and top of the forehead. Once she gets comfortable with the baths, then you can get a little braver with the water. I never put water on my dogs face, I still use wash rags to clean face and ears. My youngest loves the water though and will try to eat the shower head, so she gets a full service wash job with exception of water in the ears.

You might sit in the tub with her the first time, this will help relieve any anxiety, and make her feel safer. Make it sound fun, (baby talk) and rub and scratch to make the bath feel good. She may end up loving her baths if you don't scare her with water in the face on the first bath.

Good luck

Hector answered on 2/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I seldom if ever bathe a dog. Usually a daily brushing with a soft bristled brush controls odor an shedding.

If too bad, you may want to go ahead. I would buy some kind of a shampoo meant for dogs. You may want to check the self service dog washes if you haveone. Whatever you do, be sure to rinse, rinse, rinse the last bit of shampoo out.

I use chemical free Pet Promise
petpromiseinc.com

And to train for baths. Place the dog in empty bathtub and feed her a treat. Let her walk around.
Then take her out again and place her back in with no water.
treat again.
Then maybe without her around draw and fill the tub to the right amount, luke warm and place her in the water and treat her again.
I use diced ham or chicken for training.
Running water can scare them.
Just be calm, patient and praise her.

If she's a puppy, I wouldn't recommend bathing her until she's at least six months old. Puppies are like human infants in that they are very sensitive to the cold and they can become ill easily if you get them too cold without properly drying them.

If she's older, you can bathe her, but you'll still need to keep her warm after her bath and make sure she's completely dry before going out (especially if it's cold/winter where you are.)

I'd recommend a gentle shampoo, maybe with some oatmeal which is soothing to the skin. Never use a dishwashing liquid or human shampoo; dogs have a different pH balance than we do and those formulations can make their skin very itchy, dry or even cause a rash, even after one use.

It's tough to say for sure how to do this without scaring her since she's so new to you. But make sure you give her lots of treats and praise her while she's in the bath/sink.

Most dogs can be bathed about once every other month, perfectly safely...... :-)

Petri

A fantastic shampoo to use is PETfection Puppy Suds. It is very gentle and cleans really well. It is 100% Organic and Non-Toxic, so you don't have to worry about any chemicals or irritants. Use lukewarm water and a cup in the bath or sink, and suds up the shampoo with your fingers, rubber glove, or rubber brush. It rinses so quickly too... which is great for dogs who are new too baths or hate receiving them. Check it out at www.myPETfection.com. I love it!

Petri answered on 3/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer