I have three Kelpie puppies, I am a new owner and I'm not sure how much to sell them for, any suggestions?

when I found her, she was already pregnant. I think she bred with a border collie. what would be a reasonable asking price for these puppies, Two male and one female.

Asked by Member 1123821 on Aug 2nd 2012 in Other Puppies

Answers

Luna

since they are mixed breed puppies i wouldn't sell them more than $200.

Luna answered on 8/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Since you don't know the pedigree of these pups, I do agree that it would be unfair to buyers to charge a lot for them, but you don't want to give them away for free either (because doing that may attract people who are not really committed to owning a dog, such as children or transients.)

A good asking price is just enough to cover what you've spent on them getting them ready for new homes- the cost of their shots, worming, vet visits, etc. If you haven't done any of that... SHAME on you! I know you didn't choose to bring these pups into the world, but it's your responsibility to now give them the best possible start, and that includes making sure they're healthy and protected against disease and parasites.

Even after you decide what you want to ask for them, don't sell to just anyone with the cash! Kelpies and other serious herding breeds need owners who understand their instincts, make sure your puppy adopters are ready for that. Don't be afraid to tell an unfit owner "No."

Seth

I agree with the post of selling them for the cost of shots and other vet care. Mixed breed dogs fill up a number of shelters, so without a pedigree they should not be very expensive. I hope you are able to find good homes for all of them.

Seth answered on 8/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I wouldn't ask no more than $150 for the puppies. They have no papers, registrations or pedigrees. Don't sell the puppies to just anyone, interview the buyer before selling the puppy to them. Do a home check and follow up with each and everyone of the puppies.

Here are some questions to ask to potential buyers of the puppies - ezinearticles.com
www.pbrc.net

If they don't seem right for your dog, deny their "application". Sign a contract with the buyer that if they choose to get rid of the dog in the future, they must bring it back to you (NO money back).

If you have any more questions, feel free to message me anytime. I'm more than happy to help.