I have just bought a doberman and I am trying to find a local vet that will crop her ears. will just any vet crop them?

i live in granite city IL and am wanting to find someone to crop my dobermans ears.. who can i look for? who can i trust will do a good job??

Asked by Member 766025 on Nov 10th 2008 in U.S. Midwest

Answers

Princess

You really shouldn't crop their ears. You don't want someone to cut your ears off. That's just cruel. Why do you need to crop them? Are you fighting them? Well, that's against the law. If it's any other reason it's just being a bad owner to your own dog that you love and care for.

Don't do that!!
It's cruel!

Princess answered on 11/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I encourage you to really research ear-cropping before you do it. It is incredibly painful to the pup, and simply not necessary. They were bred with floppy ears for a reason.

If you simply MUST crop her ears (which I hope researching will convince you otherwise), don't just take her to any vet who will do a crop job. Ask around, find someone who is RECOMMENDED, someone whose work you can actually see. Interview this person the same way you would interview a plastic surgeon for yourself.

I really hope you don't do it though. Contrary to the previous posters accusations, I dont' think it makes you a bad owner or means that you want to fight, but I would hope you become more informed before you put your pup and your wallet through that.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 11/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Some might, bot others might not because they feel that it's unethical because of the unnecessary pain that the dog experiences from it.

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

I am sure any vet will do it, or they used to anyway. I do however strongly encourage you to research this. It is extremely painful for the dog and unnecessary. I had a dobie , had his ears cropped and regretted it so much I cried! He was in so much pain...and I caused it! Dobie's are more beautiful in their natural state...the way they were intended to be!

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 11/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

King Baltazar Larios

I don't know of anywhere in your area, I am from California, but I used to have a dobie and it is very hard to find someone to crop their ears. I must have talked to 8 vets before one of them recommended another vet to me. Most vets will not do that anymore. I did have it done, and my dog was not in any pain, he did get an infection on one ear since he was little and it was hard to keep them clean when all he wanted to do was go out and play (even with the tape on them) but with antibiotic cream it cleared up beautifully, and came out beautifully. So my best advice is to ask other vets if they know of someone they could recommend. If they know of someone then that would be the one with the most experience.

King Baltazar Larios answered on 11/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you're bound and determined to do this, check around in your area for a doberman group and ask them who they recommend.

Frankly, though, most vets won't do this because the vet industry has advanced a lot in recent years and most are no longer willing to perform unneccessary operations on dogs for aesthetics.

You also need to consider her age. Most vets won't even consider it before or after a certain age.

I'd highly encourage you to leave her ears as they are. Unless you plan to show your dog, there's really no reason to put her through something like this.

Save your time, your money, and her pain....and just enjoy your new puppy!

How old is your dog? Cropping is done between 7 and 8 weeks of age, and it is a risky surgery as it requires anesthesia as well as extensive aftercare to "train" the ears to stand up.

Where did you get your dog? A reputable breeder can recommend a good vet familiar and experienced with cropping. If the breeder does not know anyone, he or she may refer you to a member of their breed club who may know a good vet. (If, of course, you got the dog from a pet shop or backyard breeder, that's a moot point.)

You need a vet that is specifically experienced with cropping Dobe ears. A vet that specialized in Dobes and/or is recommended by the local breed club and/or quality breeders is the place to start. Don't just go to any vet. There's more to this than a general surgery like spay/neuter.

www.dobermanclub.org has additional info on cropping.

Are you going to be showing your Dobe? I breed and show Dobermans and to be quite honest, if you aren't going to be showing, then there is really no reason to crop them. However, many people do anyways as it is a breed standard of the Doberman (they are the only breed who can actually deduct points in a confirmation class for having natural ears). Having said that, how old is your puppy? If the dog is older than 12 weeks old, you should not crop the ears. The surgery will be MORE painful for the puppy, and the chances of the ears standing are slim. Ideally, the ears should be cropped when they are 9 or 10 weeks old. They heal faster, and stand easier. You should call vets in your area, and make sure they have done this for YEARS. Not just any vet should offer ear cropping as it is an art, and a very serious medical procedure that not just any vet should perform. Many breeders actually pay to have a vet flown in from a different state for that reason. You should call MANY people - visit them - see photos of other dogs they have cropped. They should be able to show you these things. If they can't, turn the other way, as there is a reason they won't. It may take awhile to find someone, which is why it is important to know these things before you purchase the puppy so the ears can be cropped at the appropriate time. Most breeders will have this done for you, and will have you take the puppy home after the ears are cropped. DO NOT GO TO A VET THAT WILL CROP YOUR PUPPY'S EARS AFTER 12 WEEKS - this is someone who does NOT know what he/she is doing, nor do they care for the wellbeing of the dog. I have had MANY ear crops done in my lifetime - please message me if you have any questions.

Starbutt

It is not necessary to crop the ears of your Doverman UNLESS you plan to show it and even so, they are letting dogs that the standard was to crop the ears be shown with natraul ears. It is unhuman and barbaric to mutilate the dogs ears. YES I SAID MUTILATE the dog is under anesthesia but think about how much pain you would be in having your ears CUT IN A POINT. Not much fun there huh? I see no point in this if you love you dog don't do this awful deed please.
Or are you asking if croping a dogs ear hurt them A............ A RESOUNDING "YES!!!!!"

Oh and it should be a pup ( not sure the age like 6 months I think) if you were thinking of doing this UNJUST THING if it is not, No a vet with morals will not do it.

Starbutt answered on 11/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer