Riley

I have itchy skin mostly my back was wondering what i could do for it. I get oatmeal baths but it is no help....

what can we do to fix this. I spend all day using what ever i can find to rub on to scratch. My owner thought of giving me benadryl to help with my shedding and itching but is to scared to hurt me. The itching has just become a problem over the last year. Any ideas?

Asked by Riley on Aug 11th 2009 in Grooming

Answers

The best thing is to go to the vet and identify the cause. It could be a parasite, allergies, or someting else. Once identified, it may be able to be cured, or the allergen avoided. Just changing the type of dog food, once an allergy is identified could be all it takes.

I seldom if ever bathe a dog. A daily brushing with a soft bristled brush will control odor and may help the itching.

Yes, I say go to the vet first also.

Could be food to environment.
Could be parasites as well.

Best to start with a list starting with parasites to the food.

I would bathe dog one time with Solid Gold shampoo.
Then switch over food 50/50 to Solid Gold or wellness food.
Then apply Frontline to keep fleas off and ticks as well.
One flea bite can send your dog into an itching spree. good luck.
Just a tip don't over wash your dog that can keep the skin dried out. A dog produces a natural well needed oil to keep their skin moist.:)

GUS

My gus had the same problem. the vet gave me some medicated shampoo for sensitive skin and reccomended i give him 25mg of benedryl when needed and he seems to be doing fine now . but i would say i only give him benedryl when it starts acting up. I dont like to give it to him every day because it makes him kind of lethargic.

GUS answered on 8/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pamela       -    Adopted!!!!

Shedding does make a dog itchy, combing with a shedding blade helps a lot. Mom has a knock off of the Furminator, which is overpriced. The tool is not new, why they can charge a fortune for a silly name is beyond me. Mom rubs Bag Balm into my skin to help keep is soothed and I get Plain Benedryl if I get super itchy.
I don't like baths. They make my fur come out all over and I itch like mad for a week afterwards.

Pamela - Adopted!!!! answered on 8/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer