I have had my Bonnie for 7 weeks got her at 7 weeks still not house trained i take her out 4 times a day pp in the house

Asked by Member 976107 on May 9th 2010 in Housebreaking

Answers

Seth

I do not think 4 times a day is enough, when i get a new puppy or even a new dog, they go out every hour on the hour that i am home, and i have someone come in and let them out while i am at work. jThis is one idea, i am sure you will get more.

Seth answered on 5/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with the other post. Also, puppies do not have good control until they are older. It is too much to ask the puppy at that age to be completely potty trained. Taking her out every hour or two until she gets the hang of going on command would be a good start. She will not have good control until she is 5 or 6 months old.

A 14 week old puppy will most likely make it 7 to 8 hours at night, but will need to go potty about every 3 to 4 hours OR MORE during the day. Small breed, small bladder.

Teaching her to ring a bell on the door handle to go outside can help get her trained. Many puppies go to the door and don't know what to do, so they either pee by the door, or if you get annoyed about the accidents, they try to hide to pee.

Make sure you reward her a ton for ringing the bell and again the moment she pees outside.

Keep trying sweetie. It takes many months for some dogs. People might work part time or they might not be able to watch every second of the day, just keep trying.
I do use a crate and I do allow outside access until the dog is able to mature and develop enough to have more bladder control.
She is very very young. You can use a crate, pee pads, more frequent potty breaks.
I remember those early times, I had to set the alarm or get up in the middle of the night, stand in the cold with the wind or rain blowing while the little one was outside doing his business. Don't forget to praise when she does go outside. she will get it right in the next few months. Be patient. :)

At 14 weeks, she will still be having some accidents, mostly when your attention lapses. Take a look at what I posted at www.dogster.com

Blue

I agree with previous posts - you might be unknowingly expecting too much of your puppy too soon. She's still really young. Give her some time, she'll learn. You can get through it, I promise.

Blue answered on 5/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Big Boy

Housebreaking your dog! Wow! where to begin? It is a very tedious job, but you need lots of patience. First of all Bonnie is adorable. 1. 10 minutes after she eats and drinks take her outside, I notice most dogs need to relieve themselves 10-15 minutes after they eat and drink. 2. If you play fetch and chasing her around that stimulates them take her outside and bring a treat to show her praise and give her the treat. 3. If she is still relieving herself in the house, then you need to do the crate. Put her in and when you take her out of the crate do not let her run around take her out immediately. Praise her when she relieves herself. If she relieves herself in the house do not crate her that is form of punishment and the crate is place to sleep and rest when you are not home you don't want to confuse the crate method to Bonnie she will fight to go inside the crate. It is challenging and time consuming but you can do this. Good Luck.

Big Boy answered on 5/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Inger

Every hour, after play and after naps your puppy needs to be taken out. When you do take your puppy out, you need to repeat "outside" about 100 times. That way they know what "outside" means. Treat train the puppy too with outside potty. If the puppy goes in the house, you take the puppy to the soiled area, then immediately take them outside again. DO NOT HIT, SPANK OR SCREAM AT THE PUPPY or she will never get it. Follow directions on "potty pads" too...those work as well. Only water 3 times a day (at least that's what I did).

Inger answered on 5/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

CHOKIE  DUKE CRUZ

I started out with the wee wee pads. They did wonders. I had him since he was 5 weeks old. Every time he use it, I would praise him with a treat. It took a couple of days, but he had it down packed. Now he's 10 months and once he hears my alarm go off at 5:30 am, he knows it's time to go outside. He goes and handles his business and comes right back in. It's a process but it's all worth it. Bonnie is a cutie.

Good Luck!

CHOKIE DUKE CRUZ answered on 5/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer