I have been measuring my chihuahua's stomach,and I was just wondering what is a normal chihuahua's stomach measurement?

I have measured my chihuahua's stomach with a tape measure and it was 19 1/2 inches.I was just wondering if that is too big for a normal chihuahua's stomach or should it be smaller?
If smaller I was wondering how much smaller?
Thanks

Asked by Member 919437 on Nov 18th 2009 Tagged stomach in Obesity

Answers

Sounds way too big to me. However that isn't the way to tell.

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide, www.longliveyourdog.com

LOL, I may be wrong, but I've never heard of official measurements on a certain breed's stomach. I've only heard of measurements of height from the bottom of the feet to the withers (shoulder blades).

At any rate, even if there is a standard stomach measurement, it won't do your dog any harm if he has a big, normal, or small stomach. The only thing relating to size being harmful that I can think of is the situation with "teacup" dogs which can lead to a healthy problem called "waterhead", or a Great Dane's huge size making him more likely to develop hip dysplacia.

If you are wondering if your dog is bigger than a normal chihuahua you would need to go by weight and height at the shoulders... the AKC breed standard at AKC.org, should give you the height and weight for the breed standard. If you are wondering if your dog is too heavy, you need to check his ribs...you should be able to feel each rib, but they should be covered with a thin layer of muscle and skin.