I have an old Chihuahua who's developing eating phobias. He's become afraid of his dish.

I have changed the size, color, and location of the dish, which is actually a saucer. He won't eat from anything that is deep like a puppy bowl.
He will eat if it's on the floor, or if I hand feed him. Does anyone know of something I can try besides feeding him on the floor?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Asked by Member 942408 on Jan 31st 2010 Tagged eatingdisorders, food, dish, phobias, chihuahua in Food & Nutrition

Answers

It might not be the bowl persay.
I notice since my dog is becoming a senior his eye sight fails in some ways. It may be the bowl has to be raised up.
Whether it is the eye sight or arthritus in the neck try placing the bowl up higher use towels to raise it or buy one of those bowls with stands and then also place a carpet remenant under the area it could also be his feet sliding a tad.

My thinking, if feeding him on the floor works then stick to it. The important thing is he eats, it's not important what he's eating from.