Bell

I have an "off-leash" dog...

I have never had any issues with her being off leash, but now I live in an area where she has to be leashed whenever I take her outside. I know its the law and all to have your dog leashed in public areas, but this is not a problem where I am concerned. In addition, the town I live in has no dog park that allows the freedom for you dog to roam about, so I take her to the local cemetery to do that. Is this a bad thing???

Asked by Bell on Jul 15th 2012 Tagged leashlaw in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

Chase

Personally I would not be okay if I saw a dog wandering around the local cemetery off leash, and I would say something to the owners. I don't even think dogs are allowed in our cemetery, leashed or not.
A place where people's loved ones are buried, and your dog is walking all over, and eliminating on tombstones and graves?
Are there no parks in your town? No trails? Try putting an ad on Kijiji or Craigslist looking for people who have dogs. There may be an 'unofficial' dog park where you can take your dog. Seldom used baseball diamonds, a beach, an unused soccer field.

Chase answered on 7/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We don't have a dog park in our town, so I take mine to a dog park in another town.

You may not have a problem with your dog..but leash laws are to protect all. If your off leash dog tried to greet my on leash dog..mine would kill yours. And with the size difference, even though YOU are at fault, my dog would suffer the consequences. Drives me NUTS when people think the laws are for others, not themselves.
No off leash? That does suck, but that does not give you the right to create your own...& in a cemetary? That is classless.
Get a long line to give your pup some freedom. Increase training during on leash walks to tire out his mind. Dog parks are not a necessity. You must work with the environment you have...not the one you think you should have.
Please obey the laws..for the benefit of all dog owners.

I think it would depend on the circumstances... one cemetary I know DOES allow dogs, and has many acres of undeveloped land for future gravesites. I wouldn't feel it was unethical to let a dog off-leash in the empty part, if you have good control of her and clean up any poop. A school field or park might be a better choice though. I also like disused industrial sites and half-built subdivisions- lots of empty space, little chance of running into anyone.

I also confess to breaking leash laws regularly... I try to have a common-sense approach, and will call Bruno to me and leash him when I see another dog coming, or I change direction to avoid them. A well-trained dog should not cause any problems by being off-leash, it's the bozos with no control at all (and think that because their dog is "friendly" that they get a free pass to run up to everyone) that give the rest of us a bad reputation.

Maggie

I go to local schools after they are closed, but I know that people who work at cemeteries in my area take their dogs their all the time and let them run and "help" them while they are working.

Maggie answered on 7/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The law is also for your dogs protection. Look on the internet you may find an off leash park of even better find a dog agility class it be great fun and exercise for the both of you.