Mac Attack

i have an issue... i have a 5 month old 70 lb american bulldog named mac that loves to swallow socks WHOLE..

yes, i am fully aware of the dangers this can cause.. he has swallowed several socks in the past few months, and the only reason i know this, is because he winds up throwing them up at my feet. i need advice on how to help him stop this besides the obvious answer, "keep them put up" that is not always entirely possible in a working house hold with kids.. any non judgemental and sarcastic advice would be greatly appreciated. i have 3 other hounds in my home one of which is another AMB and i have never encountered this problem. thanks in advance.

Asked by Mac Attack on Feb 14th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Unfortunately management is going to be your main option here. I have children too -- and I know kids will often forget to do things but they are perfectly capable of learning a new house rule. Think of another scenario... do I try to teach my dogs to not eat chocolate or do I just always remind my kids not to feed the dogs any candy? My daughter is 2 1/2 and can understand and follow that rule, and it's the way easier solution!

Of course along with management I would also work on teaching a solid "Leave it" and re-direct him to appropriate chew toys, or food-dispensing toys -- but this only works if you actually catch him trying to eat a sock, sounds like he's not doing it in front of you. Beyond that, not sure what else you could do that doesn't involve management on the family's part. Gate him off from the bedrooms maybe?