I have an almost 2 year old Yorkie mix and he was given to me back in August. The past 3 months he has been showing odd behavior. We keep him in his crate while at work and when I get home, I immediately let him out to pee, when I let him back in and I bend down to pet him he will cower down like he's nervous and pee, he does this almost everyday. I have started immediately putting him back in his cage for 30 minutes after for his punishment. Does anyone know the reason for this or what I can do to get him to stop?

Asked by Member 1154142 on Feb 7th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Sabi

He is peeing because he is frightened. If you want him to stop you need to build his confidence. Punishing him is just making it worse and 30 minutes is way too long anyway.
What you are doing is punishing him for something he can't control which is horribly cruel.
Instead of bending over him sit down and let him come to you. Keep his fav treats with you and randomly say his name and toss him one. Your dog is afraid of you. You need to change his mind.

Sabi answered on 2/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Koby

It sounds like submissive peeing. It's not something he can control, so you can punish him all day and it will only make it worse. He can't help it. Koby still does this, but they usually grow out of it. Try greeting him in a place with easy clean up, like the kitchen. You have to be happy when you greet him. Behaving angry when he doe this will make it worse. Like Sabi said, being kind, making it fun and giving treats will help him trust you and grow out of it. Also, I would have a vet check his urine, he could have a medical condition that is contributing to this behavior. Good Luck!

Koby answered on 2/8/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

449 stop trolling. You spout mumbo jumbo & rhetoric, yet it is obvious you have no dog knowledge. Quit spouting this offensive garbage.

Mika

449.........really?????

Mika answered on 2/8/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Odin

When you are approaching your dog get as low to the ground as you can. Put your hand out, palm down. And call him with a calm voice. It sounds like you might be acting " to big" your voice height. This dog is small? When he pees because he is scared, he should NOT be punished and especially in his crate. You want the crate to be somewhere they feel safe and comferted. Dogs love to be with their owners, it will take time, be patient. I have an 11 month old we just adopted in September. He had no training. It takes time, patients and love and you will he the dog you want, and your dog will be happier. My dog gets separation anxiety when my hubby leaves for work. He wouldnt eat all day. So my vet told my hubby to ignore him for the first few minutes before leaving and when he gets home. Worked like a charm. You will find something that works. Ask your vet. I believe you are approaching the dog " to big".

Odin answered on 2/9/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer